Research Specialist - Department of Microbiology (A1700297)
Department of Microbiology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Research Specialist will conduct original research in the area of influenza A virus biology. This work will involve the use of novel genetic and genomic tools to dissect how interactions between the influenza virus genome segments influence viral replication and adaptation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research to identify viral genetic determinants that regulate the production of semi-infectious particles.
- Conduct research to understand how interactions between the influenza virus genome segments influence viral adaptive potential and immune escape.
- Conduct research to understand how viral population dynamics influence replication and transmission potential.
- Develop novel methodologies that allow the dissection of viral gene expression patterns at the single cell level.
- Develop computational tools to aid other projects in the lab.
- Manage recordkeeping and ordering of lab supplies.
- Generate critical reagents for the laboratory.
- As needed, assist the principal investigator in training and day-to-day work of undergraduate researchers.
- Master's degree in Microbiology or a related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Laboratory experience in molecular biology and virology.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics techniques and computational biology approaches.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by May 30, 2017. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact: Deb LeBaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Microbiology
College Name or Administrative Unit: Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 05/16/2017
Close Date: 05/30/2017