Communications Director - Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Initiative (A1700295)
The University of Illinois' Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Initiative (IHSI), formed to catalyze, facilitate, enhance, and coordinate Health Sciences-related activities on campus and with our clinical partners, is seeking a Director of Communications. The incumbent in this position will oversee and lead the comprehensive communications and marketing portfolio for the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Initiative (IHSI), which includes identification and promotion of the Health Sciences research of Illinois faculty and research communities. The incumbent is responsible for developing a communications program that promotes Illinois Health Sciences research nationally and internationally, raises Illinois' profile as a preferred partner for Health Sciences research and helps raise awareness of faculty expertise with research funding organizations.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop a communications program that promotes Illinois Health Sciences Initiative (IHSI) research nationally and internationally, raises Illinois' profile as a preferred partner for Health Sciences research and helps raise awareness of faculty expertise with research funding organizations.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships with other departments within the University to stay informed and abreast of new initiatives, products and services Oversee development of a strategic plan to facilitate internal awareness of expertise and collaboration between Illinois faculty and with external partners.
- Lead and manage IHSI communications staff. This includes task assignment, ongoing performance monitoring and evaluation, position and career mentoring, and leave/travel approval.
- Identify opportunities to support organizational initiatives and develop communications, materials, and programs that promote and publicize these activities.
- Direct and manage all aspects in the production of promotional material for IHSI, including annual reports, informational brochures, newsletters, posters, and announcements.
- Oversee development of news releases/materials, fact sheets, and talking points for publicity of organization's programs. This includes building and fostering working relationships with various audiences including the UI News Bureau, Office of Public Affairs, and external service providers such as advertising agencies, graphic designers, independent contractors, and local media.
- Manage the design of IHSI research community websites and build IHSI presence on social media outlets, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Some travel may be required including occasional overnight trips.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Education: Required: Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, External Relations, or related field. Alternate degree fields will be considered based upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position. Preferred: Master's degree in Communications, Journalism, Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, External Relations, or a related field.
Experience: Required: Minimum of three years of experience in a higher education communications and/or management position. Experience in marketing, project management, and working with designers to develop promotional materials. Preferred: Minimum of three years of experience in a research intensive environment
Knowledge Requirements: Required: Strong writing and editing skills. Effective communication, organizational, and team leader skills. Knowledge of social media space and the ability to develop multi-media materials with an active, professional social media profile and engagement track record. Attention to detail. Highly creative with strong interpersonal skills and a keen eye toward opportunity. Ability to build relationships and perform effectively with a professional demeanor in a diverse and fast-paced teamwork environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities, under minimal supervision. Ability to think strategically but act opportunistically, to optimize strategies and successes in a consistent, compelling narrative across multiple channels. Sound judgment and solid decision-making skills. Proficiency with commonly-employed software and databases. Preferred: Experience with planning/developing strategic communications. Appreciation of the complexities involved when communicating across campus and between organizations.
Proposed Start Date: As early as possible after closing date.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Appointment Status: Regular, 100%-time Academic Professional position, 12-month service basis. Eligible for full University benefits package.
Applications must be received by June 6, 2017. To apply, all candidates must submit on online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload: 1) a letter which details qualifications noted above; 2) a resume; and 3) the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted by the deadline for your application to be considered complete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further information, please contact Kate Day, OVCR Human Resources, at email@example.com.
The University conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Interdis Health Sci Initiative
College Name or Administrative Unit: OVCR
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 05/16/2017
Close Date: 06/06/2017