Business Intelligence Analyst
Requisition # 2017-7528
Department University Services
Category Campus and Auxiliary Services
Date Posted 5/16/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Reporting to the Associate Director of IT, the Business Intelligence Analyst provides analytics and reporting services to University Services department administration and its staff. The Business Intelligence Analyst is responsible for creating, maintaining and disseminating ad hoc, self-service, and interactive reports and visualizations along with facilitating the production and sharing of analytical tools by division IT staff and analysts. The Business Intelligence Analyst will serve the data and reporting needs for the following service areas: Campus Dining, Event and Venue Support, Housing and Business Services, Transportation and Parking, Print and Mail, TigerCard, and University Services Administration.
The Business Intelligence Analyst will be responsible for working with University Services business and technical staff, the Office of Information Technology, and other campus partners to develop and maintain a robust data warehouse portfolio serving the analytical and reporting needs of the division. This responsibility includes defining, documenting and maintaining departmental metadata, ensuring new system implementations adhere to pre-defined consistent data standards, exploratory data analysis, and requirements gathering, report and visualization development, and managing internal and external access to data assets (databases, extracts, dashboards, and reports).
Additionally, the position will play a key role in building, implementing, and maintaining the new University Services analytics program and its capabilities. This role includes helping to define, implement, and communicate new project processes, governance strategies, documentation standards, training programs, and learning opportunities. As an ambassador for analytics, the position will facilitate all Unviersity Services departments in developing new analytical capabilities.
A full job description will be furnished prior to interview.
- Develop business intelligence and analytic solutions. Use data visualization software (e.g., Tableau) and predictive modeling tools (e.g., R) to analyze and communicate complex data and information clearly and efficiently to users.
- Lead internal data analysis projects and develop interactive reports and dashboards that can efficiently consume cleansed and consistent data from multiple applications. Collaborate with University Services technical and functional experts to understand their systems and data processes along with the complex interrelationships among divisional technology. Work with OIT on project teams to architect and deploy production-level data repositories that meet the reporting and analysis needs of the business and automates data extraction and cleansing processes.
- Execute and maintain governance of analytics assets and platforms. In collaboration with divisional technical, business and administrative staff, manage content and permissions to data extracts and reports within the University Services Tableau server site. Serve as primary or backup data custodian for divisional data repositories and platforms, granting and removing access based on the parameters and process established by the overall governance framework. Maintain and disseminate metadata documentation for information warehouse repositories.
- Manage and execute the internal training and outreach strategies for University Services data analytics, in partnership with University Services Communications and the Office of Information Technology's Center for Data Analytics and Research (“CeDAR”). Develop and promote internal data training services to University Services technical and business staff to assist with the cultivation of data analysis skills and the understanding of analytics tools like Tableau and Cognos. Host periodic open “office hours” to assist other University Services business and Business Intelligence Analysts to better understand their data and how to use the tools. Work with University Services Communications to promote data analytics through periodic divisional electronic communications and outreach opportunities.
- Serve on interdepartmental project teams for new application implementations, ensuring data standards are consistent with the overall data warehouse strategy.
- Develop and maintain proficiency with advanced analytic and database tools, internet resources, in-house data, and other resources.
- The position will actively participate as a member of the University Services IT team. Works on special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with at least three years of hands-on experience as a business, systems or data analyst.
- Strong Excel data analysis skills.
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience developing reports with reporting or business intelligence tools (e.g., Excel PowerPivot, Tableau Desktop, Cognos, Crystal Reports).
- Fundamental understanding of statistical concepts.
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to accuracy.
- Analytical acumen necessary to interpret and manage data.
- Demonstrated ability to work with technical and non-technical staff to identify user requirements and translate them into technology-based solutions.
- Ability to understand complex data interrelationships across multiple departments and their respective systems and processes.
- Experience with metadata management and documentation.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive and professional working relationships; ability to effectively handle interpersonal interactions at all levels and respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability and desire to train, develop, and improve others' understanding of data analytics.
- Ability to work with complex confidential information and/or issues using discretion and judgement.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills in order to present findings to all levels of management.
- Possess organizational skills to handle several projects simultaneously, accommodate shifting priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability and drive to stay current with and report on rapidly evolving analytics technologies.
- Valid Driver's License.
- At least 3-5 years of experience creating and publishing visualizations and dashboards using Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server; a published example portfolio on Tableau Public is a plus.
- Experience with Cognos Query Studio and Report Studio.
- Demonstrated experience with relational database design and querying and proficiency with SQL.
- Experience with data governance and managing access to sensitive information.
- Understanding of data warehousing and experience with ETL tools (such as Alteryx Designer).
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.