JILA Sponsored Project Specialist
Who we are:
JILA was founded in 1962 as a joint institute of CU Boulder and NIST. Our faculty includes two Nobel laureates and three MacArthur Fellows and our CU members hold faculty appointments in the Departments of Physics; Astrophysical and Planetary Science, Chemistry and Biochemistry; and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology as well as in the School of Engineering. NIST's Quantum Physics Division members hold joint faculty appointments at CU in the same departments.
Each year, our scientists publish more than 200 original research papers in national and international scientific journals and conference proceedings. Creative collaborations among the JILA Fellows, their groups, CU professors, and NIST staff members play a key role in generating the pioneering research JILA is known for around the world. Major initiatives, such as NSF's Physics Frontier Center and NSF's Engineering Research Center for Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) Science and Technology, make major contributions to JILA's cutting edge research programs.
What your key responsibilities will be:
In this role, you will have primary responsibility for ensuring that assigned sponsored projects are administered in compliance with all applicable regulations; for closing projects; for reviewing and/or preparing a variety of transactions; for providing in-depth information or performing research on questions related to sponsored projects; for preparing reports on an as-needed basis, and for advising JILA administration and Principal Investigators on sponsored project issues.
- Ensure all expenditures on assigned projects are appropriate and within JILA, CU and sponsor standards. This activity can include:
- Review purchases and transactions for allowability.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is present for sensitive and other expenditures.
- Verification of outstanding obligations.
- Research issues as they arise.
- Oversee post award administration for assigned projects which may include:
- project start-up including pre-award cost allowability,
- consultation on set up within JILA Directory and Projections financial systems and review of award documents for special requirements
- review of sub-award invoices
- set up of fabrication projects
- project closeouts
- no-cost and other period of performance extensions
- coordinate with Sponsored Projects Accounting, Office for Contracts & Grants and sponsors as needed/appropriate
- other activities as needed.
- Prepare billings for JILA Internal Service Centers (JILA Shops).
- Administer all payroll processes for JILA University and Classified Staff.
- Provide a limited amount of clerical support to JILA Research Faculty PPS; as requested.
- Serve as a resource in explaining, researching and administering a wide variety of sponsored projects including: grants, contracts, sub-contracts, fixed price contracts, funding mechanisms from private sponsors. Provide advice to JILA administration and Principal Investigators on complicated or unusual projects or requirements.
- Actively contribute to the development of JILA procedures, forms, training others and ensuring compliance as requested.
- Perform other administrative duties and complete other paperwork as necessary.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position is $48,000 to $55,000. In addition, the University of Colorado also offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement (with a 2-for-1 employer match), generous paid time off, tuition benefit and RTD ECO Bus Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be professional. Be collaborative. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Accounting or related field OR relevant experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Minimum of two years of specialized post-award grants administration and/or accounting experience.
- Minimum of one year of experience using CU accounting and sponsored project systems.
- Demonstrated competency with basic accounting principles.
What you will need:
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing and verbally.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Basic understanding of database systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively track and monitor a large number of concurrent projects and tasks.
- Positive outlook, sense of humor and appreciation for individual differences in people.
What we would like you to have:
- Experience with CU HR/payroll system.
- Experience with CU purchasing and expense/travel systems.
- Knowledge of post-ward administration with JILA's main sponsors - NSF and DOD.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by May 31, 2017
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200, extension 2 or email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials AS ONE DOCUMENT/PDF to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
3. Names and contact information for three references.
Please name your document as follows: First-Last-Resume-CL-09589.
During upload, please indicate the type of document to ensure accurate submission.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10106 - JILA
Posting Date: May 15, 2017
Closing Date: May 31, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00732087