Coordinator of the Alumni Mentoring Program - School of Integrative Biology (A1700154)
Coordinator of the Alumni Mentoring Program
School of Integrative Biology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Integrative Biology seeks a Coordinator of the Alumni Mentoring Program to build on existing initiatives in SIB to further develop a program of alumni-driven career development courses for undergraduates who are exploring primarily non-academic careers in biology, contribute to undergraduate advising, and contribute to alumni engagement in collaboration with development staff.
The Coordinator reports to the Director and the Associate Director of Academic Affairs for the School.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and teach/coordinate two SIB career courses per academic year.
- Develop, facilitate and assess student experiential training in the form of internships, and leadership coaching.
- Partner with relevant entities in SIB (e.g. the SIB Academic Advising Program & SIB Curriculum Development) and with the College of LAS (career development program) to develop and implement programs to enhance the post-graduation preparation and outcomes for SIB undergraduates.
- Build and maintain a comprehensive database of SIB alumni careers and contact information. Analyze information for data-driven School planning and ongoing SIB communications with SIB alumni.
- Identify and liaise with SIB alumni who wish to help students evaluate and prepare for biology careers, especially in the non-academic sectors.
- Recruit SIB undergraduates to the career program through venues such as workshops and advising sessions.
- Develop and facilitate SIB student-alumni mentor relationships.
- Advise Integrative Biology students during peak advising periods.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, teaching of biology or related life science discipline.
- Experience with oral and written communication, as a project manager with outstanding organizational skills, working independently and in a team-based environment, and working with culturally diverse groups.
- Familiarity with undergraduate life science programs.
- Master's degree in teaching, life sciences or related field.
- 2 years of experience with course development and instruction at the high school or college level.
- Private sector, science-based work experience.
- Knowledge of the scientific disciplines of the School of Integrative Biology.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by April 4, 2017. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Marty Forrest at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: School of Integrative Biology
College Name or Administrative Unit: LAS
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 03/16/2017