Communications Manager, DSI
Working Title: Communications Manager, DSI
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Data Science Institute
Posting Date: 03-15-2017
The Data Science Institute (DSI), an emerging leader in the cutting-edge field of complex data analysis, seeks a dynamic, talented individual for the position of Communications Manager. This individual will develop, implement and support communications plans and tactics to advance the DSI's visibility internally and amongst industry peers. Established in 2013 as the first interdisciplinary initiative of its kind at the University of Virginia, the DSI has embraced a dual commitment to pursuing exciting research that can change our world today, while also providing outstanding education that will prepare us for the challenges of tomorrow. Bringing together faculty and students from a wide array of backgrounds and disciplines? including mathematics, statistics, computation, engineering, the humanities and social sciences, and more? the DSI's offerings include its Master of Science in Data Science program, currently ranked sixth among data science programs in the United States; workshops, boot camps, and short courses on tools and methods for interested faculty and students across the university; and executive education opportunities for companies wishing to succeed in a data-driven market. Supported by more than $13 million in endowment and gift funds from a growing number of individual and corporate contributors, the DSI is poised to continue the remarkable growth that has marked its first three years. That growth will form part of a new five-year strategic plan developed around open data science and aimed at establishing UVA as the leader in the field. The plan and associated initiatives need to be actively communicated and feedback analyzed and acted upon.
Reporting to the Associate Director for Operations and Strategic Initiatives, the Communications Manager will oversee a wide variety of tasks and projects that will solidify and enhance the DSI's brand, and generate further interest and investment in the brand throughout the university community and beyond. These tasks and projects will include developing and contributing content on the DSI's mission and accomplishments to various print and electronic publications; managing content on the Data Wall, a massive data visualization display that serves as the centerpiece of the DSI's new building; responding to media inquiries and proactively pursuing relationships with new media outlets; advising faculty, staff, and students on opportunities to raise the DSI's public profile; collaborating with communications professionals both within and outside the University; and more.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage a wide-variety of communications activities. Design and develop print publications and e-communications, including current and emergent forms of social media.
- Proactively manage media relations, handling incoming inquiries, as well as fostering ongoing relationships.
- Build and maintain a network of external communications relationships and collaborate with communications professionals across the University, maintaining a close understanding of the University's institutional brand.
- Manage ongoing and special events, coordinating exhibitions, logistics, agendas, staff, speaker arrangements, external promotions, and post-event reports.
- Coordinate with outside consultants as necessary for marketing, branding, and web projects.
- Establish and maintain events and publications calendar and communicate with central UVA communications to get broad exposure for DSI activities.
- Manage and develop web content.
- Develop and maintain a social media presence for the DSI.
- Design, spec, and order promotional materials.
- Bachelor's degree in communications or a related field
- Minimum of three years experience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to execute a broad range of communications functions.
- Ability to synthesize information, provide advice, and address needs independently. Demonstrated knowledge of print publications and media relations.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81365