To provide services required to ensure financial and budgetary accountability of resources for departments and administration within the Auxiliary Service Units under the direction of the Senior Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. In addition to budget support, the position will deliver financial assistance to this same area. These Auxiliary Service Units include, but are not limited to, Dining & Hospitality Services, the Bookstore, University Center, Conference Services, Public Safety, Residential Life and Housing, the Gallogly Recreation and Wellness Center, the Copy Center, and the ENT Center for Performing Arts. The financial support provided should follow established internal controls, be in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and standards issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and comply with all Federal, State, Local and University fiscal rules and regulations.
- With the support of various University staff, work to close out fiscal year by gathering financial data of the auxiliary units and make necessary budgetary adjustments in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Review monthly financial statements for accuracy for budget and actual data as it relates to budget journal entries and actual journal entries. Retrieve financial reports for University staff as needed.
- Create and prepare for the Auxiliary Accounting Supervisor basic budget/financial spreadsheets on a monthly basis. After the Associate Vice Chancellor has approved budget adjustments for Administration and Finance, process changes into the financial system.
- Monthly adjust personnel budgets at the position level in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Monthly review budgets to actual data and alert supervisor of any discrepancy in such data.
- As directed by supervisor, assist in assuring budgets are submitted on time and data are entered correctly.
- Review detailed budgets for centralized auxiliary service units and coordinate with the UCCS Controller's office on budgeted cash transfers.
- Maintains and applies knowledge of current CU policies and procedures to ensure compliance
- Processes payments, tracks accounts payables, and receivable, and supervises student accounting assistants in processing the same items.
- Works closely with Auxiliary Services to ensure accounting processes are efficient and effective.
- Reviews, along with Auxiliary Services staff and Auxiliary Services Accounting staff, all relevant Speed Types and accounts periodically to ensure property classification in PeopleSoft.
- Works closely with Auxiliary Services Accounting staff to resolve issues related to accounting and financial reporting processes.
- Makes decisions on changes in current accounting systems and changes to any processes that will allow a better product/report to be produced.
- Resolves issues related to accounting and financial reporting processes by reaching out and asking for information from the auxiliary services personnel to determine the issues and then making changes in processes, when needed.
- Assign duties to accounting assistant(s); train, monitor and supervise to ensure all assignments are accurate, complete, and performed in a timely manner.
- Develop strong relationships with Auxiliary Services personnel, vendors, University departments and personnel.
- Establish and monitor filing system in accordance with Records Retention policy.
- Monitor effectiveness and efficiency of existing processes and procedures. Make decisions on the improvement of processes and implement.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new processes and procedures for new business processes.
- Awareness and basic understanding of GAAP, financial reporting, basic spreadsheet preparation, systems and databases, and business administration.
- Awareness and basic understanding of retail accounting including inventory methods and cost of goods sold.
- Proficiency in the use of various accounting and reporting applications.
- Ability to work collaboratively with Auxiliary Services Accounting staff and Auxiliary Services staff.
- Ability to seek out answers from a wide variety of choices and apply the solution correctly.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple, concurrent projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to independently perform the wide range of administrative and accounting responsibilities associated with this position.
- Ability to work with diverse populations in a multi-cultural environment that is committed to diversity and equality in education.
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Salary Range: $48,000
he The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
ThThe University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum of three years of accounting or budget management and administrative experience.
- Three years supervisory experience.
- Five years of progressive experience with university auxiliary services.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by 05/30/17 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
• Travel for on campus interviews will be arranged by UCCS, if you are offered the positon and you do not accept, no reimbursement will be allowed • 8 June tentative telephone interviews • 22 and 23 June tentative on campus interviews • Tentative start date of 1 July, (flexible by hiring authority)
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40101 - UCCS Controller's Office
Posting Date: May 15, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Greg Krems
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00400480