Instructor - NP/PA (Electrophysiology)
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Instructor - NP/PA (Electrophysiology)
The University of Colorado School of Medicine Division of Cardiology is recruiting for a full time Advanced Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) position within the Cardiac Electrophysiology (EP) Section. The work location for this position is the University of Colorado Hospital (UCH). The EP program at UCH is growing rapidly and has become the largest in the region with 11 Fulltime faculty, including 2 existing advanced practice providers, responsible for more than 10,000 patient encounters and procedures annually.
The position is directly supervised by an EP faculty member and involves:
shared outpatient responsibilities
noninvasive EP procedures
collaboration with other EP advanced practice providers and working with house staff and faculty.
This position is a unique career opportunity to become involved with a growing academic practice for the right individual. This position also includes potential academic and administrative opportunities for those individuals with an interest in clinical research and program development.
Examples of specific clinical work performed in this role include outpatient clinic seeing return patient visits and selected new patient visits requiring arrhythmia care for atrial fibrillation, cardiac rhythm device management, and ventricular arrhythmias (average of 3 days per week); Tilt table and exercise testing (average of 0.5-1 day per week)
Primary Outpatient Responsibilities:
- Follow-up patient visits (evaluation and treatment) with physician collaboration when appropriate
- New patient visits (evaluation and treatment) with physician collaboration when appropriate
- Coordinate care for follow-up patients as needed (laboratory studies, procedures, follow-up calls and orders. etc.)
- Outpatient telemetry analysis (with over reading by collaborating EP attending physician) and Tilt table testing oversight
- Team based approach with Invasive Services in the care and management of patients (H&P, discharge orders, establishing follow-up, etc.)
- Serve as a liaison to the Cardiology Research Coordinators in the care/management of patients participating in or being considered for clinical trials
- Opportunities to participate and lead scholarly and research projects in quality improvement, program development, and electrophysiology/cardiology care.
- Certified Nurse Practitioners (NP) are certified advanced practice nurses who provide primary health care and specialized health services to individuals, families, groups, and communities. Physician Assistants are licensed to provide primary health care and specialized health services to individuals, families, groups and communities. First time appointees must complete the application process to receive authorization to provide services as an Allied Health Professional.
- Current Colorado license as a Registered Nurse, including registration in the advanced practice nurse registry or current Colorado license as a Certified Physician Assistant.
- Graduation from a master's program in nursing accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the National League for Nursing (NLN), or, graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant Program.
- Completion of a formal postgraduate nurse practitioner track or program in the applicant's specialty within a school of nursing granting graduate level academic credit, or, completion of a formal Physician Assistant program with evidence of successful completion through either a certificate or a letter from the program director.
- Eligibility or successful completion of the national certification examination administered by a nationally recognized credentialing organization in the appropriate specialty, and maintenance of current certification. If a certification examination does not exist for the practitioner's specialty, certification in a like specialty approved by the Allied Health Credentials Subcommittee must be obtained within one appointment cycle. New graduates must pass a certification examination within sixty (60) days of graduation.
- Compliance with the requirements under the Colorado Nurse Practice Act (for NP candidates only).
- Current certification in basic life support (BLS) and ACLS.
- The Articulated Plan and Attestation Statement must be provided to the Medical Staff Office at the time of appointment if the practitioner has full prescriptive authority. For new graduates or individuals in the process of completing the required hours for full prescriptive authority, the Articulated Plan and Attestation Statement and proof of prescriptive authority must be submitted to the Medical Staff Office within thirty (30) days of obtaining prescriptive authority.
- Evidence of current competency to perform requested specified services. Documentation of prescriptive authority granted by the Colorado Board of Nursing. Nurse Practitioners who have not been granted prescriptive authority by the Colorado Board of Nursing must obtain prescriptive authority within two (2) appointment cycles for full-time clinical FTE and within three (3) appointment cycles for part-time clinical FTE.
- A DEA license is required to prescribe any medications. Medications cannot be prescribed in the electronic health record until the DEA license is obtained.
- Experience in the management of complex cardiac patients is desired but not required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills to interact with multiple medical disciplines.
- Excellent bedside manner and physical exam skills.
- General Internal Medicine knowledge base.
- At least some experience in cardiovascular medicine.
- 3 - 5 years of experience in the clinical management of complex cardiology patients
- Prior work history in an outpatient setting with knowledge of cardiac procedures.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09215
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20169 - SOM-MED-Cardiology
Posting Date: Jun 27, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Dennis Evans
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00050182