General Manager of Convenience Stores
General Manager of Convenience Stores
Posting Number: 20171367S
Position Type: Staff
Recruitment Type: Internal/External Applicants
Work Schedule: FT/12 Month
Department: 412-Dining Services Operations
Responsible for the operation of Dining Services' three Convenience Stores, The Second Storey, Reel Convenience, and the Donahue Market. This includes but is not limited to: financial reporting, ordering, personnel management, sanitation, marketing, merchandising, product mix, vendors, conducting inventory. Responsible for the leadership and management of the operation of 2nd Storey Convenience Store on a daily basis. This person will work with management and co-workers to instill and foster the value of the Villanova Mission Statement and the Dining Services Mission Statement. This person will focus on our Core Values: Safety and Sanitation, Friendly Courteous Service, Quality, Meticulous Attention to Detail, and Safety. All of our employees should improve our systems and overall operation.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Personnel - Responsible for the overall supervision of all staff which includes hiring, scheduling, training, discipline and termination. Monitors and evaluates all staffing levels and performance expectations. Responsible for posting all schedules 2 weeks in advance. Coordinates department training of employees with Training Manager and management team. Responsible for all unit specific training. Responsible for employee morale and maintaining friendly, courteous customer service. Maintains payroll for Second Storey staff and is the back up to the GM of St Mary’s/Second Storey for payroll. This includes updating and monitoring time, sick time, holiday and vacation. Monitors all management coverage for the C Stores and makes adjustments as needed. Provides supervision and coverage of operations as required. Responsible for the safety of staff and all accident reporting. Conducts weekly meetings with staff. Responsible for yearly evaluation of employees.
- Financial- Responsible for the pricing module including all updates. Responsible for the timely processing of all invoices and C-Bord requisitions, daily revenue reports, maintaining proper cash handling procedures, conducting cashier audits, maintaining the safes in the Second Storey. Operates cash registers. Manages in order to meet and/or exceed financial targets. Reviews budget updates on a weekly basis and stays within guidelines set by target budgets. Responsible to bring recommendations to the directors for any negative variances in food/labor/expense.
- Marketing and Merchandising - Develops and communicates all marketing and merchandising of all products for the 3 C stores including special promotions. Reviews product mix in order to allocate correct space for shelves.
- Food Safety and Sanitation- supervises food prep and production in Second Storey. Responsible for the maintaining of all accurate production sheets and temperature logs. Ensures that all products are wholesome and all product produced on premises follow our food safety and sanitation guidelines. Routinely inspects operations to be in compliance with all board of health regulations. Enforces safety and sanitation policies and procedures including daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning assignments. Reviews these practices with the other C-stores.
- Menu guidelines and presentation of food - responsible for adherence to all menu guidelines and presentation of food at all times. Quality checks are needed on a routine basis throughout the meal service. Proper portioning and food handling must be monitored. Responsible for lunch/dinner/after hour menus in Second Storey.
- Ordering/Inventory- Responsible for proper ordering and receiving procedures for all vendors. Proper inventory levels are maintained and daily inventories are conducted for ordering and inventory compilation is conducted during breaks as directed by the production manager. Responsible for organization in all storerooms and walk ins. Maintains and updates Cbord with correct par levels including forecasting and postcasting. Production meetings must be conducted on a weekly basis.
- Product Mix - ensures that the correct product mix is being offered, seeks student and staff feedback, track industry trends and benchmarks within the local area and markets. Responsible for the Micros computer menu management and product pricing. Verifies all C stores are running same specials and promotions. Runs daily and monthly product reports to track sales and compare to purchases. Discusses and recommends changes to the product mix with the directors.
- Equipment and Supplies - Monitors and ensures all equipment and records are maintained in the unit. Responsible for all preventative maintenance contracts for equipment and pest elimination. Coordinates all maintenance and repairs with facilities and/or outside contractors through the Director of Operations and each GM of the units. Coordinates all custodial issues maintaining our standards of a clean operation.
- Perform additional duties and assists with special projects and events as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a preferred major in the area of hospitality or business or equivalent work experience.
- Knowledge of food safety, sanitation and allergy awareness.
- Knowledge in human relations - training, coaching, evaluating performance, counseling, disciplining and motivating.
- Knowledge of food quality and presentation which includes marketing and nutritional trends with a focus on sustainability initiatives.
- Knowledge of payroll, scheduling, attendance tracking.
- 5 - 7 years minimum food service management experience with a preferred emphasis in retail operations.
- Convenience store experience preferred.
- Experience in leadership and management
Awareness of and sensitivity to a diverse population (customers and staff).
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision.
- Self-motivated with a sense of urgency
Proven ability to be flexible, deal with rapid change and to meet deadlines.
- Effective decision making and conflict resolution skills using good judgement.
- Proven ability to delegate and follow up while managing time effectively for the desired outcomes and objectives.
- Excellent levels of customer service and ability to handle complaints and/or concerns.
Knowledge of preventive maintenance on all equipment.
- Ability to set-up, operate, break down, and clean all kitchen equipment.
- Computer skills necessary.
- POS technology - Micros/C-BORD.
- Current ServSafe Certification preferred. If certification has expired, it must be updated within 3 months of accepting the position.
- Allergy awareness training preferred.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Tools, machinery and equipment used:
All Kitchen equipment.
- Environmental conditions:
Ability to use chemicals daily as required, and use proper protective equipment as called for by the specific chemical and task
Minimum lifting requirement of 30 pounds or more.
- Standing for extended period of time.
- Ability to withstand extreme weather conditions (hot and cold).
- Ability to push/pull up to 30 pounds independently.
Special Message to Applicants
Sunday thru Thursday 5:30 PM to 2:30 AM
Off Friday and Saturday.
Posting Date: 05/12/2017
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information: Commensurate with experience
Salary Band: I
Job Classification: Exempt
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/11306
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.