Director of Music Activities
Director of Music Activities
Posting Number: 20171361S
Position Type: Staff
Recruitment Type: Internal/External Applicants
Work Schedule: FT/12 Month
Department: 356-Music Activities Office
The Director of Music Activities is the leader of the Office of Music Activities within the Division of Student Life.
The Director must possess significant musical skill and is responsible for the following:
- The vision, oversight, administration, budget and strategic planning of the department;
- The holistic development of students interested in pursuing performing arts in a co-curricular setting;
- Supervision and development of a robust collection of student performance groups, currently including the University Band (supporting football and basketball as well as a concert band); an orchestra; jazz ensemble; assorted choral and a capella groups; several dance groups; and student theater and student musical theater;
- Supervision of the full and part-time staff within the department;
- Working closely and collaboratively with other University departments, especially Athletics, Institutional Advancement, and the President's Office, to meet the musical performance needs for an array of University events.
- Serving on the Student Life Advisory Committee for the Division, and on other University committees, as assigned at the discretion of the Vice-President.
- Support of the Catholic and Augustinian mission of Villanova University, a community where mutual love and respect animate every aspect of University life.
While preferred but not required, the Director of Music Activities has historically served as the Director of the University Band.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage in planning for and effective administration of the overarching vision, philosophy, and functions of the department, in collaboration with full-time staff and student leaders; maintain fiscal responsibility of the department and its student groups; explore and engage with entrepreneurial options to increase funding for student groups (e.g., Summer Music Education program).
- Advise, conduct, and develop the instrumental student groups within Music Activities, with special focus on the Villanova Band as Director of the Band, which currently includes the functions of both a concert band and the Pep Band that performs at a variety of Athletic events (i.e., football games with football half-time performances with ancillary groups, men’s and women’s basketball games); support logistics and production needs related to the Band’s performances at events through the year (on and off campus).
- Provide vision for and support of all student organizations within Music Activities; plan and implement “music camp” at the outset of the academic year; develop positive working relationships with student leaders, along with expectations of student groups and appropriate advocacy for student engagement and performance on campus.
- Supervise, support, and develop the full-time and part-time staff within the department, collectively utilized to the meet the needs and interests of student involvement (within budget constraints).
- Represent the department and serve as liaison as appropriate to other areas in Student Life and in the University.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree required, preferably in related field.
- At least seven to ten years working in higher education and/or in music education.
- Background in music education and experience in arts performance. Musical knowledge, skill, and experience to (a) direct and conduct the Band (i.e., Band performances at football games, Pep Band at basketball games, concert band) and (b) develop amateur student musicians in a co-curricular setting into high performing ensemble(s).
- Knowledge of student development theory (as applied to amateur “performing arts” co-curricular opportunities): ability to advise, guide, and develop students in their growth and development as performers and as members of the community.
- Supervision of professional and administrative staff.
- Ability to manage complex budget and maintain fiscal responsibility.
- Ability to collaborate and work as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication, both oral and written.
- Experience in planning, working with others towards a shared goal, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Experience in negotiating and resolving conflict.
- Previous experience as Director of a Pep Band.
- Apple Computers, Microsoft Office.
- Facility with instruments, repair and maintenance.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Occasional moving instruments and/or risers; loading and unloading instruments and risers from a box truck.
- Basic instrument repair
- The Director of Music Activities interacts extensively with students and is supportive of a variety of University events. Consequently, it is not uncommon for meetings and events to be scheduled beyond traditional work hours. The Director of Music Activities should anticipate the need to work into evenings and on weekends, as necessary, throughout the year.
Special Message to Applicants
Villanova University does not have an academic music program or department. However, over 600 students are involved annually in a wide variety of “arts” performance groups that fall within Music Activities. Note that students in the Band return prior to the beginning of the academic year for “music camp” before New Student Orientation begins in August. Also, the Band plays at home football games; the band in recent years has operated as a scramble band rather than as a marching band during the Football Half Time Shows. In addition, the department has historically partnered with the University of the Arts to offer music education classes to Pennsylvania music teachers over the summer.
Posting Date: 05/10/2017
Closing Date (12am ET): 5/31/2017
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information: Salary commensurate with experience.
Salary Band: K
Job Classification: Exempt
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/11287
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.