Posting Number: 20171356S
Position Type: Staff
Recruitment Type: Internal/External Applicants
Work Schedule: FT/12 Month
The Tutoring Coordinator will manage the operations of a new tutoring initiative. The role will coordinate all individual tutoring provided to student athletes and student members of the Center for Access, Success and Achievement (CASA). Will identify and coordinate group tutoring for specific subject areas approved by the Associate Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (AVPTL). Hire, train, schedule, evaluate, and supervise tutors in collaboration with other academic support offices. Assist the Math Learning and Resource Center, Learning Support Services, and the Writing Center with their tutoring needs as appropriate. Will coordinate with Colleges and their offices who provide student support.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In coordination with feedback from the AVP for Teaching and Learning, recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate tutors.
- Schedule individual tutoring for select approved student populations, coordinate group tutoring sessions, and select and maintain software system for appointments/tracking of tutoring.
- Assess effectiveness of individual and group tutoring. Observe tutoring sessions and provide feedback and support to tutors. Prepare relevant tutoring reports as needed.
- Coordinate with the athletics compliance office and Academic Support for Athletes to ensure tutors are trained in and comply with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Work with colleges and programs to meet their support needs. Careful consultation with academic departments will be necessary to assure the integrity of tutorial services provided in course and subject areas.
- Set uniform tutor pay scales with approval on Human Resources. Process forms required to pay tutors and manage budget.
- Perform additional duties and assist with special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 3 years in this type of role, with demonstrated experience working as an academic counselor, tutor, or providing supervision of tutors.
- Ability to work with a variety of software packages including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and specific scheduling/tutoring software.
- Understanding of current rules and regulation in higher education or a willingness to learn those (FERPA, NCAA, etc.).
- Knowledge of: tutoring techniques; learning assistance programs; a variety of learning styles; administrative and instructional support learning assistance technologies; teaching, learning, and collaboration techniques.
- Knowledge of student learning theory and the ability to apply best practices programmatically.
- Exceptional organizational and management skills with demonstrated program coordination skills.
- Self-driven; able to set own deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks .
- Ability to analyze and solve problems and exercise good judgment.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to establish positive and respectful working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Ability to interact effectively with administrators and faculty across the University community.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of all constituents.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Teaching experience desirable.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
Ability to work some evening and weekend hours with advanced notice.
Special Message to Applicants
Posting Date: 05/08/2017
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information: Commensurate with experience.
Salary Band: G
Job Classification: Non-Exempt
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/11240
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.