Humboldt State University
(Job #17-45) Custodian, $2,319 -$3,765/month. Appointments are typically made at the beginning of the salary range. This is a full-time, benefited, 12-month position with a one-year probationary period in Facilities Management. The anticipated work hours will include a regularly assigned 8 hour shift five days per week; assigned hours will be regular but will also include weekends and evenings. The current shift for the majority of custodians on the campus is Monday- Friday, 5:00 p.m. thru 1:30 a.m. Anticipated starting date is in Summer 2017. There are currently three vacancies available.
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Custodial and Logistics Manager and/or Custodial Supervisor and with lead work direction provided by the Lead Custodian, incumbents will perform general cleaning and custodial care and support in assigned University facilities and areas.
Minimum Qualifications: Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position. Ability and knowledge to operate and care for custodial equipment and supplies properly. Ability to perform work involving regular physical activity including moving up to 50 pounds; and establish and maintain cooperative work relationships. Possession of a valid driver's license required.
- Responsible to maintain assigned areas including dusting and cleaning surfaces; removing trash and recyclables; cleaning restrooms, glass doors, windows, and blinds; cleaning off graffiti; cleaning furniture; cleaning light fixtures and exposed ducts/conduits and other building fixtures; polishing woodwork and metal surfaces; cleaning stairwells, walkways and elevators; and performing general housekeeping.
- Responsible to clean and maintain floors, including sweeping, dry and/or wet mopping, stripping, sealing, waxing and polishing; vacuuming; spot and full cleaning of carpets.
- Provides support, including activities such as responding to custodial emergencies; replacing lamps in light fixtures; safeguarding assigned areas from unauthorized use; arranging and setting up furniture, equipment, and related items; and making minor repairs and adjustments to equipment and furniture, such as oiling doors, tightening screws and replacing foots on chairs and tables.
- Assists with building security by locking doors, windows, setting alarms, notifying campus police of suspicious activity and reporting vandalism.
- Knowledge and ability to safely operate and maintain appropriate hand and powered equipment and tools, supplies and materials to perform assigned duties.
- Knowledge, skills and ability to effectively clean and maintain assigned areas including restrooms, all surfaces and materials, floors and stairs, ceilings, doors and windows, furniture and upholstery, and any other facilities or facilities components as assigned.
- Ability to effectively communicate equipment, supply and facility repair needs.
- Ability to transport equipment, materials, supplies in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Knowledge and understanding of the safe use, storage and transport of cleaning chemicals. Ability to understand the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) and interpret Safety Data Sheets (SDS) as appropriate.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a collaborative custodial and Facilities Management team.
- Ability to follow established policy and procedure.
- Ability to recognize and accommodate changing priorities, as communicated by a supervisor, in order to meet short and long term deadlines/goals.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work harmoniously with a wide variety of individuals including diverse populations.
- Ability to operationalize sustainability concepts into all aspects of the performance of job duties.
Application Procedure: Please note that Humboldt State University now requires application materials to be submitted electronically. If assistance is needed, the Human Resources & Academic Personnel Services office (located in Siemens Hall room 212) has a computer station available and our front office team would be happy to assist you. Qualified applicants should submit electronically the following materials:
Submission of the application materials should be sent as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and the job # (17-45) in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: This position is open until filled. The first review of applications will be Friday, June 9, 2017.
HSU is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, and administration. Persons with interest and experience in helping organizations set and achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
Siemens Hall - Room 211
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
Fax: (707) 826-3625
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide complete and accurate employment information. Incorrect or improperly completed applications will not be considered for vacancies. Any reference in this announcement to required periods of experience or education is full-time activity. Part-time experience or education - or activities only part of which are qualifying- -will receive proportionate credit. In accordance with applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements, preference may be given to the campus applicants covered by these agreements. However, positions are open to all interested applicants, both on and off campus.
Evidence of required degree(s), certification(s), or license(s) will be required prior to the appointment date. The successful candidate for a position at HSU is required to be fingerprinted through the Humboldt State University Police Department or their local law enforcement agency. The results of the fingerprint process must be received by the university prior to the candidate’s appointment. The cost of the fingerprinting is borne by the university.
Humboldt State University is committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the state. Additional information about Humboldt State University can be found at http://www.humboldt.edu.
Humboldt State University is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race,religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.