Director of Advancement Operations
The Director of Advancement Operations reports to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement (IA) and serves as a member of the IA Leadership Team. Advancement Operations includes a six-person staff who provide services in the areas of data analysis, list generation and report development, as well as gift processing and biographical data entry. The director will also be responsible for managing and tracking IA’s operating budget.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND GOALS
- Serve as the Data Steward for Institutional Advancement. Lead the implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive multi-year advancement services plan to improve data integrity, business continuity, data access (reporting and visualization), and efficiency. Develop specific strategies to increase data acquisition within IA and with other organizations on and off-campus. Monitor and report on progress towards those targets. Monitor the progress staff and volunteers are making towards these goals, and ensure they are reached.
- Develop strong partnerships with all areas within Institutional Advancement and participate in division-wide planning. Develop and implement single year operational plans for advancement services which support the strategic direction of the entire organization.
- Maintain close effective working relationships with various offices within the college (eg.: Information Resources, the Business Office, the President’s Office, Student Life, Career Services, and Admissions) and with all offices related to Institutional Advancement. Work with these groups to develop and meet measurable goals for Banner Advancement information integrity and use.
- Provide management of the day to day operations. Provide advice, support, and guidance to the Analytics and Reporting and Gift and Bio Data Management teams. Hire, train, and evaluate staff as appropriate.
- Serve as the direct supervisor for the Associate Director, Advancement Operations and the Senior Coordinator, Data Management.
- Serve as the central budget manager for Institutional Advancement. Develop practices and guidelines for the effective management and oversight of IA’s operating budget.
- Lead the process for developing, implementing, and managing any supplemental Campaign budget requirements. Prepare regular assessments for review by the IA Senior Management Team.
- Establish and manage business processes for essential IA functions including: Annual Contributors Report list production; annual prospect portfolio and proposal evaluations; solicitable base analysis; Campaign Ask Targets; preparation of data files for research, ratings and wealth screenings; donor behavior (retention, reactivation, acquisition); Segment analysis for prospect pools, alumni programs, and communications; alumni engagement analysis; pledge fulfillment schedule and process development and analysis; ongoing prospect development and solicitation pipeline analysis.
- Evaluate and document budgets, policies and procedures. Monitor CASE Standards, tax-law, and other regulations related to the management of private personal information and giving information. Partner with the Business Office to regularly reconcile IA data with Business Office data to ensure compliance with appropriate policies and regulations.
- Coordinate and implement training related to Banner Advancement and advancement services policies and procedures as appropriate. Partner with IR and HR on training design and implantation. Coordinate training on appropriate data usage for all members of the Occidental community who have access to Banner Advancement data, directly or indirectly. Partner with IR on annual confidentiality documentation and training updates as appropriate.
- Duties as assigned by the Vice President for IA.
- Develop and maintain project management system with special attention to the development of project scopes, time-lines, deadlines, and deliverables. Communicate regularly with stakeholders on project status and develop documentation protocols for projects, work-flows, and procedures.
- Coordinate with IR on the hiring and use of external consultants for IA-related technical work.
- Provide organizational leadership around data analysis for the study of IA data, IA performance, and industry research and trends.
Knowledge Management for Board, President, and College Dean
- Lead the development of IA Reporting materials for the President’s Office, College Dean’s Office, and the Board of Trustees, including, but not limited to, data and charts for board meeting packets; annual analysis of fundraising and alumni and parent engagement performance; monthly reporting to the IA Committee of the Board; an annual overall demographic profile analysis of the Board; maintenance of Board of Trustee and Board of Governors candidates for nomination; and maintenance of and access to alumni contact and profile data for faculty departments.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND GOALS
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years of related experience in advancement services area(s), preferably within a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated project management experience and a well-articulated project management philosophy.
- Ability to explain complex technical ideas and information to non-technical people through conversation, presentation, and visually.
- Experience with relational databases required, familiarity with Banner Advancement and/or Argos preferred.
- Familiarity with CASE reporting standards and best business practices in advancement services.
- Proven record of leadership, management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong relationship management orientation.
- Outstanding work organization and time management skills.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends and ability for limited travel.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively motivate, train and support staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment – with a mix of deans, faculty, parents, alumni and staff colleagues. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of modern data management practices and techniques including data-based computerized information systems, data modeling, and models of analysis that leads to effective decision making on behalf of the program.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment and to provide leadership around changing priorities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to email@example.com.
Apply for Director of Advancement Operations
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly