Director of Networking and Infrastructure
Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is the 31st member of the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. With a current enrollment of over 12,000 students, enrollment is projected to exceed 13,000 students in 2017, including both residential and commuter students. GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 850,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology.
Director of Networking and Infrastructure
Enterprise Systems - 4007010415
Cover Letter, Resume
The Director of Networking and Infrastructure leads the network and infrastructure department, providing technology leadership, planning, and a wide range of services supporting GGC Faculty and Staff. This position delivers both hosted and on-premises technology solutions on a variety of platforms and hardware.
- Designs, implements and supports up-to-date network technology needed to establish reliable data and voice communications on campus.
- Designs, implements and supports servers and storage environment required to support GGC applications, including but not limited to centralized computing services, networking, telecommunications and cable TV infrastructure, academic/classroom/online technology, and collaboration of Educational Technology.
- Develops strategic plans and relevant policies that are aligned with USG requirements for the Office of Educational Technology.
- Leads the exploration of effective and innovative use of hardware and software.
- Manages secure, reliable high-performing network and server infrastructure.
- Manages large, complex environments, and interfacing with hosted solutions.
- Manages to achieve reliable 24/7 enterprise operations, including analyzing technical problems and applying effective solutions, along with significant hands-on delivery and development of innovative solutions, through programming and electronic system integration.
- Works with the CIO to procure equipment, services, and maintenance agreements.
- Works with the CIO to create and maintain up-to-date service level agreements.
- Creates and updates operational, configuration and other procedures required to maintain system and networking standards.
- Creates and maintains a reliable backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Reviews project plans with the Project Management office to ensure successful implementation of all network and infrastructure related projects.
- Provides leadership to team members when providing services to GGC, which includes maintaining system software patched to the latest functional patch level, hardware and software installation, LDAP and Active Directory management, Server Security management, maintenance of UNIX servers, and effective troubleshooting of system problems in all areas.
- Directs daily operations of the department, analyzing workflow, establishing priorities, developing standards and setting deadlines. Recruits, hires, trains and supervises staff including working with the CIO to make specific staffing decisions.
- Determines system and networking requirements for customer needs.
- Identifies complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement viable solutions.
- Identifies measures or indicators of network and system performances and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system and/or network.
- All other duties as assigned
SalaryCommensurate with education and experience with excellent benefits.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field OR seven or more years of experience in design, engineering and evaluating network and server systems technologies and environments
- Five or more years of previous leadership, specifically in an IT environment
- Five or more years of experience in Server Systems Management
- Five or more years of 100% hands-on server administration in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server system upgrades and migration projects.
- 100% hands-on experience in all aspects of server and network administration and end user support in a Microsoft Windows Server environment.
- Experience with technical project planning, change management processes and procedures and well-honed documentation skills
- Five years of experience in Microsoft's Active Directory and Network Architecture and Planning Unix Server System Administration
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and credit check if applicable to the position, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Applicant must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
Position may require non-standard work hours (nights and weekends).