IT Lab Operations Student Supervisor, Information Technology Client Services
The IT Lab Operations Student Supervisor, within Information Technology Client Services, will work directly and through a team of students to support the hardware, software, scheduling, and operations of public computer labs on campus, focusing on delivering excellent IT support to the UMass Boston faculty, staff and students. The incumbent will manage the hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision of a large team of student employees supporting operations and maintenance of public computer labs, kiosks and pay for print stations across campus. The incumbent may be required to assist with operations of a specialized large format printer available for graduate student use. The incumbent will be required to work flexibly and collaboratively with others on the team to cover a schedule of operating hours that cover both standard business hours and extended evening and weekend hours.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Support the hardware, software, scheduling and operations of public computer labs on campus, focusing on delivering excellent IT support to the UMass Boston faculty, staff and students; image, install, configure, upgrade and/or test lab hardware, software and peripherals for both Windows and Macintosh platforms;
- Build positive relationships with customers and deliver timely, courteous and knowledgeable customer support;
- Responsible for taking ownership of technical issues as they relate to lab computers, public kiosks and printers, working with other individuals and teams as needed to resolve more advanced issues; accurately record issues, actions taken, results and solutions into the ticketing system; update ticket documentation to assist in information sharing within the team;
- Manage a team of approximately 25 student employees scheduling them to staff a large number public computing labs, and check on a large number of public kiosks and printers across campus during standard business hours, as well as extended evening and weekend hours;
- Provide orientation and training on new technology resources, applications, processes and procedures; work with others in Lab Operations on developing content for internal training videos, and student consultant manuals;
- Create and update both printed and online training material and assist with maintaining the IT website to promote services and share information with the community;
- Provide assistance to other team members by sharing information, cross-training, and otherwise ensuring that the team is well-prepared to help customers with a wide array of issues;
- Capture and maintain accurate knowledge base content (internal and customer facing);
- Attend seminars, workshops, training sessions and meetings to keep abreast of new developments in IT;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of three-five (3-5) years of experience providing technical support in a professional or higher education setting with a diverse community required. An additional four years of the above work experience, or combination of Associate's Degree and two years of experience in the above can be substituted for the required Bachelor's Degree. Virtual desktop and mobile computing experience preferred. Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as necessary is required.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated proficiency with the Macintosh and Windows Operating Systems, hand-held mobile devices and applications;
- Knowledge of and experience with a variety of basic computer applications and utilities, including MS Office Suite, web browsers, McAfee Anti-virus, Pharos Print and Reservation Services, and imaging solutions such as Acronis, Kace and Ghostcast;
- Knowledge of security risks, copyright violations and other inappropriate or unlawful computing practices;
- Desire and willingness to work with end-users and provide high-quality customer service to people at all levels in a university setting.
- Understanding of networking and related troubleshooting;
- Ability to supervise the work of others;
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team;
- Ability to schedule, organize and prioritize multiple simultaneous work activities to utilize efficiently and meet objectives;
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the organizing, including faculty, staff and students;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong troubleshooting skills with referenced operating systems;
- Strong interpersonal skills, which facilitate positive working relationships with both co-workers and end users;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews:
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional work references.
- Professional Union.
- Full time. Benefited.
- Unrestricted funding.
- Grade 30 (see link below for salary chart).
Only Internal Professional Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Closing date for applications: June 15, 2017.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, the University of Massachusetts Boston complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.