Director, Newark Montclair Urban Teacher Residency
Posting Date May 12, 2017
Position Title Director, Newark Montclair Urban Teacher Residency
Vacancy # V-1289
Department Center of Pedagogy
Division Academic Affairs
The purpose of the Newark Montclair Urban Teacher Residency (NMUTR) is to improve student achievement by coupling rigorous research-based teacher preparation with the concrete needs and realities of Newark Public Schools. Cohorts of up to 25 teacher residents each participate in a clinical apprenticeship with highly qualified, fully supported mentor teachers who are experienced in the residents' areas of certification (dual-certification in early childhood education and special education, mathematics education, or science education). Successful program completers will be hired by NPS and will receive induction support through the NMUTR for a minimum of three years after they complete the residency.
The NMUTR Director works directly with the Principal Investigator (Executive Director of the Center of Pedagogy) to oversee and implement all aspects of the project, including managing the day-to-day operations to insure the goals and activity plans of the project are followed. The Director also administers and interprets federal and state laws governing the operations of all aspects of the project. The Director is responsible for oversight and administration of the project including: course scheduling, NMUTR budget, faculty support, student support and advising; teacher candidate information sessions and orientations; teacher candidate admissions, placements, and general advising; induction of beginning teachers in their first three years of teaching; marketing and public relations of the NMUTR.
The Director supervises the NMUTR Program Assistant, Program Advisor, Induction Coordinator, and Graduate Assistants. The Director liaises with faculty in the Secondary and Special Education Department and the Early Childhood, Elementary, and Literacy Education Department in an effort to sustain best practices from the Residency.
The NMUTR Director communicates continuously and works closely with NMUTR faculty (from MSU and NPS) and serves as a coordinator and leader for all participants in grant activities in the school district and at the University, including budget management, program management, and data collection with and for the NMUTR program evaluators. This person will provide leadership and facilitation of the Core Planning Team and will plan and implement follow-up induction support and mentor professional development, including all other activities that are integral to the project plan. The Director will have an office on the university campus and will be employed by the Center of Pedagogy at Montclair State University.
This is a full-time 12-month position.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The NMUTR Director will:
• Establish a working relationship with the NMUTR partners.
• Build and maintain relationships with school sites and school district.
• Negotiate new partner schools as needed.
• Supervise project staff.
• Direct the file keeping for the program and for the program evaluation.
• Oversee all aspects of candidate entry to the Residency including but not limited to recruitment and marketing; and dissemination of information to all relevant parties; designing and conducting information sessions about the NMUTR.
• Oversee all aspects of the Admissions Process for Residents, Mentors, and Schools.
• Work with University departments, the Newark Public School District, and other partners to develop legal documents, such as stipend award agreements with the residents and MOU's with partners.
• Provide program information to all interested parties: faculty, administrators, students, etc.
• Create systems for monitoring program progress.
• Preparing master schedules for the overall Residency.
• Provide necessary support to faculty and sites.
• Provide support for teacher preparation, professional learning, curricular renewal, and inquiry.
• Provide advisement and supportive counsel to student participants.
• Monitor student progress.
• Oversee all aspects of the Resident Hiring Process in negotiation with the Newark Public School District.
• Facilitate the design and implementation of annual NMUTR conferences and Mentor Institutes.
• Lead and facilitate the Core Planning meetings, regular retreats and/or other relevant partnership meetings
• Prepare annual progress and budget reports.
• Interview, hire, monitor progress and provide professional development for quality mentors for new teachers.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Successful candidates for this position must hold a Master's degree. Doctoral degree is preferred. A minimum of three to five years of P-12 and/or university teaching experience is required. Candidate should have a record of strong administrative, management, and communication skills, including successful collaboration with university colleagues. Experience leading or implementing professional development programs in public school settings, knowledge of university culture and structure are sought.
Highly developed interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to work well with different institutions, facilitate collaboration among partners with different and sometimes competing interests, and the ability to solve difficult problems of practice in urban schools and teacher education. A clear understanding of the change process, how to lead and engage in change/renewal in schools and at the University, and how to support novice and experienced teachers and administrators in the process. Knowledge of budget management, knowledge of computer applications (e.g. Excel, data bases, Word, etc.) are also essential.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single document (PDF or MS Word) via the apply link.* https://jobs-montclairedu.icims.com/jobs/1647/director%2c-newark-montclair-urban-teacher-residency/login
Apply By Open until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION