Functional Title Laboratory Manager
Position Type Research
The Center for Translational Biomedical Research (CTBR), located at the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, NC, conducts research on the molecular mechanisms of disease pathogenesis and progression, identifying biomarkers for diagnosis, and discovering novel interventions for disease prevention and treatment.
The Center for Translational Biomedical Research is currently seeking qualified candidates to consider the the Laboratory Manager.
This position is expected to support and coordinate the technical activities of a biological mass spectrometry research laboratory. Acts as an advisor to researchers including research scientists, post docs, students and faculty to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems. Serves as laboratory safety officer. Ensure Standard Operating Procedures and protocols are maintained and applied. Work with researchers to design experiments. This position will work independently to maintain the laboratory and provide the necessary research support as needed.
Major duties and responsibilities inlcude:
- Support and coordinate the technical activities of a modern bioanalytical chemistry research laboratory focused on mass spectrometry-based omics research by developing training materials and training researchers such as post docs, research scientist and students on operation of instrumentation. The position will develop and implement quality assurance programs relating to calibration and maintenance of equipment. Serve as the external contact for instrument maintenance related maters and work with researchers in the interpretation of research data as appropriate.
- Develop and implement laboratory(s) policies and procedures. Manage and coordinate operational policies and procedures, coordinate with research staff on issues which impact laboratory productivity including but not limited to inventory control and management to insure accurate research data is obtained.
- Evaluate and recommend new techniques and technologies as appropriate in teaching and research programs . Install and maintain laboratory equipment in compliance with federal
- Serve as liaison of contract research activity in the laboratory, assist in the determination of fiscal requirements and preparation of budgetary recommendations. Compile and prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. Make recommendations regarding purchases of laboratory equipment, potential facility renovations and new construction related to to maintaining and implementing equipment modifications.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
Master's degree in Chemistry or Life Sciences or a Bachelor'with 3 years of experience in working with a mass spectrometry research laboratory or core facility. Must have hands on experience with Thermo LC-MS (NanoLC, UHLPC Quantivia and Q Exactive HF) The ability to lift 50 pounds. Must have experience in working with federal laboratory regulations.
Hands on experience with Leco GC-TOF or instruments of similar models are desired. Proven experience in maintaining, repairing and troubleshooting Mass Spec equipment. The successful applicants should possess excellent communication skills, the ability to work well with others in a collegial atmosphere, and the desire to improve the research productivity in a fast paced research laboratory where both grants research and contracts research are conducted.
Tenure Status N/A
Recruitment Range Commensurate with Experience
Org #-Department Translational Biomedical Research - 13403
Job Open Date 03/14/2017
For Best Consideration Date 04/04/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying?
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News and Record
- Other newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal/Website
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Job Board
- Personal Networking
- Social Media
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu