Financial Aid Specialist
The Lehman College campus is located in Bronx, New York and is a Senior College within the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Lehman is the only four-year public college in the Bronx and is recognized as a Hispanic Serving Institution. The college serves mainly undergraduate students preparing them for employment, the professions and further study.
Reporting to the Associate Director, in addition to the Overview duties, the Specialist:
- Reviews contracts, disbursements, tuition and fees; validates student eligibility for various programs.
- Administers, monitors and troubleshoots CUNY financial aid systems as well as Federal and NY State systems in order to ensure integrity of student databases and timely and accurate delivery of funds.
- Assists CUNY staff, applicants, and students/families with advice on financial aid issues and eligibility.
- May review and reconcile student payroll processing.
- Represents the Financial Aid function at Admissions events; works with academic departments as well as Bursar, Registrar, Admissions and Computing offices to assure staff understand and implement financial aid processes correctly.
- Assists in the development and evaluation of Admissions processes.
- Prepares documentation, instructions, and materials in various media to support financial aid activities.
- Provides front counter coverage of office's main reception area. Accepts verification proof
documents, greets visitors, answers inquiries, and explains procedures and policies.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related or combined experience in counseling, education, or business required. Possess excellent working knowledge of federal Title IV and NYS financial aid regulations, practices, and resources.
The ability to communicate in writing is an important job-related competency. All candidates will draft a writing sample as part of the interview process to demonstrate their ability to write memos and letters that are grammatically correct and express information clearly.
- Counseling experience in higher education
- Excellent verbal, writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to function well in an energetic and creative team environment
- Ability to work under deadlines with changing priorities
- Ability to write clearly and produce/edit accurate, well-organized, and understandable reports
- Ability to communicate effectively; ability to listen and respond to the concerns/ideas of others
- Ability to work on a team, as well as work independently
- Commitment to serving a diverse, urban student population
- Working knowledge of personal computers
- Ability to travel to off campus sites for information presentations
- High level of professional judgment to review student files and make adjustments as needed
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) fluency strongly preferred
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers and supervises financial aid programs and operations.
- Reviews contracts, disbursements, tuition and fees; validates student eligibility for various programs
- Administers, monitors and troubleshoots CUNY financial aid systems as well as Federal and NY State systems in order to ensure integrity of student databases and timely and accurate delivery of funds
- Assists CUNY staff, applicants, and students/families with advice on financial aid issues and eligibility
- May review and reconcile student payroll processing
- Represents the Financial Aid function at Admissions events; works with academic departments as well as Bursar, Registrar, Admissions and Computing offices to assure staff understand and implement financial aid processes correctly
- Assists in the development and evaluation of Admissions processes
- Prepares documentation, instructions, and materials in various media to support financial aid activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Financial Aid Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a CV, cover letter, evidence of teaching success, and three professional references, (name, title, organization, and contact information).
For technical issues:
Contact the service desk by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can, provide screenshots. Please do not provide your User Account password; it is not needed to investigate any issue.
For other questions:
For questions about the content of any job posting, please contact the Human Resources department: Recruiting@lehman.cuny.edu.
June 12, 2017 (reopened)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Lehman College
Job Title: Financial Aid Specialist
Job ID: 15656
Full/Part Time: Full-Time