Institutional Research Specialist in Data Analysis
** REVISED ** PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT REAPPLY ***
Located in midtown Manhattan, the Stella and Charles Guttman Community College is CUNY's first new community college in over 40 years. Guttman was established with the goal of significantly improving student learning, retention, and graduation, by rethinking community college education and practice. The college's institutional research and assessment activities are coordinated by the Center for College Effectiveness, which is seeking an Institutional Research Specialist in Data Analysis.
Reporting to the Director of the Center for College Effectiveness, the successful candidate is responsible for, but not limited to the following:
- Assists with the selection and use of appropriate statistical methods for quantitative analyses, including descriptive and inferential statistics, multivariate statistics, regression, factor analysis, and longitudinal studies.
- Creates and revises syntax (SPSS, R) for maintaining systematic analytical procedures.
- Creates dashboards with Tableau for visualization of institutional data.
- Creates and revises queries (PL/SQL) to extract records from databases.
- Prepares summary reports and/or presentations related to student demographics, student performance, retention rates, graduation rates, IPEDS, and Middle States accreditations.
- Assists with the documentation of practices including data sources, methods, and standard naming conventions.
- Maintains archive of institutional research resources.
- Assists with responding to ad-hoc requests for information related to institutional research.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: a Master's degree in a related field or discipline may be substituted for up to two years' experience.
- Familiarity with institutional research practices, data analysis, predictive analytics, and data visualization
- Ability to take direction, work independently, and/or work collaboratively, as situations require
- Ability to meet deadlines, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and be flexible with changing priorities
- Strong writing and oral communication skills to communicate effectively to non-technical and technical audiences
- Ability to think analytically and to pay detailed attention to accuracy of code and quantitative and qualitative data
- High level of technological expertise (statistical software, PL/SQL, Tableau, database management, relational databases) and motivation to keep up with new technologies
- Experience working in higher education preferred
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Oversees collection and assessment of data for Institutional Research purposes.
- Compiles, maintains, and analyzes institutional data in various formats
- Produces reports and metrics based on department's needs; responds to time-critical ad-hoc requests
- Loads, extracts, edits, and evaluates data for reporting and analytics
- Maintains selected databases and document libraries, updating and ensuring data quality and accuracy
- May participate in internal and external surveys as needed
- May consult with others in designing methodology for research projects
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Revised --
Salary commensurate with education and experience. ($51,126 - $65,817)
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID (16287) or Title (Institutional Research Specialist in Data Analysis).
Make sure to upload a cover letter and resume (as one document), by the closing date.
Review of applications begins May 22, 2017. Posting closes on June 10, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Guttman Community College
Job Title: Institutional Research Specialist in Data Analysis
Job ID: 16287
Full/Part Time: Full-Time