CUNY School of Law is the premier public interest law school in the country. Founded in 1983, we train lawyers to serve historically underrepresented communities and work towards greater diversity in the legal profession. Our motto, "law in the service of human needs," infuses everything we do. We are the most diverse law school on the East Coast, and one of the top law schools in the country for clinical practice.
CUNY School of Law is seeking a creative and dynamic Development Director. The successful candidate will provide leadership and develop a strategic fundraising plan designed to build a culture of philanthropy that will strengthen our base of support now and in the years to come. He/She will provide leadership at an exciting time. Worldwide, there is increased recognition of the importance of public interest lawyers and the rule of law. With a growing base of public interest attorneys, we are positioned to build institutional support from alumni while creating a meaningful program that engages and serves the needs of our graduates. Working as a key member of the external affairs department the Director will lead the annual fund effort designed to build participation, a responsible stewardship plan, and secure major gifts and institutional grants. Given the growing national reputation of our Law School faculty and alumni advancing public interest and social justice through the power of the law, we are well poised to secure funds to support both our students and programs.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic Initiatives and External Relations, and working in partnership with the Dean, the Development Director will manage fundraising for CUNY School of Law and our affiliated organizations including: CUNY Law Foundation, and Main Street Legal Services. S/he will develop a multi-year comprehensive strategic fundraising plan with goals, measurable objectives and benchmarks, all predicated upon the law school's mission, values and vision. The Director will work closely with trustees of the CUNY Law Foundation, Board of Visitors, and others to market the law school effectively in order to build a pipeline of supporters for our Law School, including support for students, programs and projects. The Director will communicate with our constituents, including donors and alumni, the expertise, experience, and breadth of our faculty. The Director will work closely with fundraising team developing innovative campaigns to attract and diversify the base of support.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Design and execute a comprehensive strategic plan for fundraising to achieve institutional goals, that includes major gifts, annual fund, foundation and corporate grants, events, reunion/class giving, and planned giving.
- Work with senior leadership, faculty, and staff to identify and prioritize needs and opportunities and to create compelling storytelling about the impact of this work.
- Lead efforts to solicit and secure multi-year major gifts to CUNY Law's student fund (scholarship, summer internship and bar stipend support).
- Create and implement a thoughtful moves management strategy to attract gifts from CUNY Law alumni, donors and other prospects. Build relationships and communication streams that increase loyalty, support high levels of retention of donors, and move beyond alumni giving to others who support CUNY's mission as a public funded public interest law school.
- Establish goals, benchmarks and system of regular reporting to Dean, senior leadership team, faculty and boards
- Build relationships, seeking new donors through prospecting using a variety of sources, and maintain ongoing relationships with existing donors, collaborating with law school management, faculty and volunteers as appropriate.
- Manage CUNY Law Foundation Board and Board of Visitors and provide active support to enable them to successfully fulfill their roles and responsibilities.
- Develop and maintain a personal portfolio of major gift prospects; support the Dean and staff in soliciting major gifts; support the mission of the CUNY Law Foundation to secure sustainable financial support for the law school.
- Work in concert with the Communications & Marketing Manager to develop the case for support for the annual campaign targeted primarily to alumni and support the development of publications including the Annual Report, printed alumni magazine, newsletters.
- Work in concert with the alumni relations team to conceptualize and implement an alumni engagement and fundraising plan including reunions (class, clinic or affinity group based).
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting; Oversee Raiser's Edge systems for gift processing, acknowledgements, tracking and reporting. Work with finance and CUNY Research Foundation and others to track and reconcile gifts and records with required documentation, complying with University rules.
- Manage and develop staff, build a cohesive supportive management team, and secure additional external resources when required.
- Manage development budget
This position may include weekend and evening hours. Occasional travel may be required.
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' related experience required.
Additional qualifications include;
- Proven fundraising track record with major donors and foundations
- Superlative written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and mastery of fundraising strategies and tools
- Demonstrated experience in campaign creation and project management
- Experience using digital platforms for campaigns including online giving campaigns
- Track record of quickly gathering information for content creation for multi-media marketing strategy
- Detail oriented, multi-tasking individual with excellent interpersonal, managerial and organizational skills with ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Good at building systems with excellent project management experience including use of platforms across a department and/or organization
- Proven managerial track record; passionate about creating an external relations team and building the skills of his/her team
- Ability to synthesize complex information and simplify it for general audiences
- Interest in and skills for building internal and external relationships to secure and leverage funding
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-stakeholder environment
- Ability to juggle multiple, occasionally competing, priorities
- Adept at building processes and systems that make communications within and between departments smoother
- Commitment to the mission of CUNY School of Law; familiarity with the public interest/social justice world, locally, nationally and internationally would be ideal
- Blackbaud Raiser's Edge and Luminate experience preferred; demonstrated experience working with fundraising software designed to facilitate relationship management essential
- CFRE Credential preferred
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Directs College's fundraising strategy and administration of fund-raising programs.
- Designs, implements and monitors comprehensive resource development program
- Responsible for meeting specific goals and targets
- Develops funding strategies; assesses outcome of strategic plan
- Oversees a portfolio of annual and major gift prospects to establish and sustain ongoing relations
- Maintains relationships with donors and sponsoring organizations to cultivate and maintain funding
- Ensures reporting requirements are completed in timely and accurate manner
- Manages professional and clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned
Job Title Name: Development Director
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Resumes will be accepted until July 11, 2017, with review of resumes to begin May 26, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: CUNY School of Law
Job Title: Development Director
Job ID: 16747