Executive Director for Human Resources
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers Bachelors and Masters degrees and participates in the Doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
The Executive Director for Human Resources reports to the AVP for Administration and has administrative and overall supervisory responsibility for planning and managing the College's human resources functions in accordance with the policies, procedures, and practices of the College and University and in compliance with all applicable laws. Areas of responsibility include recruitment and retention, benefits, compensation and payroll, time and leave administration, training and development, human resources information systems and employee engagement.
The Executive Director of Human Resources will provide leadership in helping the College meet strategic priorities, enhance organizational effectiveness, improve client services, improve procedures and service outcomes by infusing technology into HR business practices, and increase employee engagement.
- Participating in the College's strategic and operational planning process by prioritizing and executing strategic HR goals and objectives.
- Maintaining current knowledge of and interpreting, implementing and complying with federal, state, and local laws that affect the HR functions of the College, including mandatory training requirements.
Directing and implementing all college and university initiatives and projects associated with the comprehensive administration of the HR Office.
- Overseeing the operations and administration of all human resource functions.
- Overseeing the enforcement of the College and University policies, rules and regulations and contractual agreements.
- Conducting research relevant to human resources forecasting and staffing on both a short-range and long-range basis.
- Directing the periodic review, revision, and general maintenance of position classifications, salary grades, and salary ranges; coordinating development and maintenance of job descriptions.
- Overseeing the College's employment practices and recruitment efforts for administrative staff.
- Planning and administering professional development programs to improve utilization of staff resources and to provide a climate of professional growth for all employees (non-faculty).
- Advising supervisors, employees, and employee representatives regarding personnel and payroll management policies, employee morale issues, individual performance issues and recommending appropriate courses of action.
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining, employee self-service programs particularly as it related to Benefits Administration through the use of available technology and appropriate FAQ database.
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining an electronic system to process HR transactions.
- Evaluating the Civil Service automated transaction tool and plan upgrades, and implement additional transactions.
- Evaluating the Client Services function and implement technology solutions to enhance customer services.
- Preparing and managing the annual College Assistant budget for the Office of Human Resources.
- Developing and implementing a virtual orientation program for new employees.
- Supporting the College's employee engagement and recognition programs.
- Preparing e-reports and providing data analysis on critical HR functions using available technology.
- Developing, leading and mentoring HR staff, while promoting the Office as a model of professional competency and innovation.
- Serving on all appropriate committees.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
- Excellent experience developing, interpreting, and implementing HR policies, procedures and regulations, preferably in a large higher education institution with represented faculty and staff similar to CUNY.
- Solid experience with HRIS systems, preferably Oracle/PeopleSoft
- Ability to align HR practices with HRIS systems and produce management reports
- Knowledge and application of Civil Service regulations
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click "Apply Now" below.
Otherwise please follow these instructions:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment."
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by job opening ID number 16772
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one file.
May 26, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Executive Director for Human Resources
Job ID: 16772
Full/Part Time: Full-Time