Fiscal Support Specialist
FISCAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Working Title: Fiscal Support Specialist
Type of Employment: Staff
Department: FM-Business Services
Division: Finance and Administration
Proposed Salary Range: $25,268.00
Position Summary: The Fiscal Support Specialist is responsible for performing a variety of fiscal related fiscal tasks that are standard or regular support duties within an assigned department or program. This position is governed by Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
- Maintains a portion of an agency/institution's manual or mechanized accounting records by posting transactions to journals or ledgers and balancing and reconciling errors manually or on a computer terminal, sets up and generates encumbrances and vouchers
- Verifies and posts vouchers, prepares vouchers for accounts payable and invoices for accounts receivable
- Verifies the accuracy of completed forms and vouchers for correct codes, calculations, and authorizations
- Monitors reports of cash funds or receipts deposited to agency/institution accounts to verify balances and ensure that interest received on deposits is correct
- Receives and reconciles cash with receipts and prepares bank deposits
- Maintains running totals of expenditures, deposits, allotment balances, and encumbrances and compiles reports from accounting resources
- Receives warrants, mails or delivers warrant to vendor or contractor
- Posts expenditures to appropriate ledger applying to proper character or allocation
- Provides technical assistance to agency/institution personnel in area of expertise such as warrant cancellation, preparation of vouchers or billings, fund balances, processing procedures, and legal requirements and policies governing financial transactions
- Maintains agency/institution inventory and may perform general administrative support duties including receiving requisitions, typing purchase orders, and ordering, receiving, and disbursing supplies
- May lead the work of a small lower-level administrative support staff by assigning work, assisting with the resolution of problems, and observing employees' work and providing information to supervisor regarding employees' performance
- Performs related responsibilities as required or assigned
General Days/Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Knowledge/Skills/Ability: Knowledge of database accounting and management principles.
Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations of assigned section.
Knowledge of computers and software application programs.
Knowledge of customer service techniques.
Ability to record fiscal data and manipulate data to generate complex reports and documents.
Ability to conduct research and perform basic quantitative quality assurance reviews.
Minimum Qualifications: The formal education equivalent of a high school diploma; plus two years of bookkeeping, basic accounting, billing, or related experience.
OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
Arkansas State University is a public, multi-campus higher education system with enrollment in excess of 22,000 students. Approximately 14,000 students attend the Jonesboro campus where the student body is diverse. The campus has a renewed focus on international student recruitment and capital campaign development. Jonesboro has a population of approximately 67,000 and is located 70 miles northwest of Memphis (www.jonesborochamber.org).
EEO Statement: It is the policy of Arkansas State University to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, status as a veteran or other status protected by law; and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive continuing program of affirmative action.