Adjunct Faculty, Occupational Therapy Assistant
General Statement of Job
Provides classroom and laboratory instruction to Occupational Therapy Assistant students in accordance with college policies and procedures.
Location Eastview Campus Hours 8-5 Salary Salary is assigned according to the Adjunct Faculty Salary Scale. FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Department Chair of Occupational Therapy Assistant Program. Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effective teaching techniques adaptable to a variety of learning styles.
- Understand the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Subject matter and related and/or relevant topics and issues in the teaching discipline.
- Sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Principles and practices associated with Servant-Leadership.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation in the field, service in the profession and/or the community.
- Exhibits effective planning, organizing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Consistently meets department deadlines.
- Effectively assists student learning.
- Successfully interacts with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrates punctuality for classes and office hours.
- Maintains an established schedule, including evenings and weekends, including possible multiple campus locations, which may vary by semester.
- Maintains confidentiality of student information.
- Demonstrates proficiency using computer applications, classroom, clinical, lab, or other current learning technologies for effective teaching at the community college level.
- Demonstrates proficiency using Microsoft Office software systems.
- Demonstrates proficiency using Blackboard application, or is willing to complete Blackboard training sessions upon hire.
- Displays a willingness to learn new computer applications and programs as necessary to provide innovative instruction.
Required Work Experience
- Three years non-teaching work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- At least three years of successful teaching in an OTA program.
- In accordance with SACSCOC and ACOTE accreditation requirements: Bachelor's degree in Occupational Therapy or Occupational Therapy Assistant, or Associate degree in Occupational Therapy Assistant and 3 years non-teaching work experience. SACSCOC requirements may differ depending on the courses taught within the discipline. For specific requirements by course, please see the current year Faculty Qualifications Table located at http://www.austincc.edu/faculty/credentials/.
- Current licensure from the Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners. Current credentials from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy.
- Current CPR certification is required for any instructor conducting site visits.
- Reliable transportation may be required for teaching in multiple campus locations.
- Instruction takes place in classroom, clinical, and lab settings.
- Manual dexterity, range of motion, coordination, balance, strength, physical endurance, safety awareness, and judgment suitable to work with students in a classroom/laboratory setting.
- Lift and move up to 30 pounds in a lab setting.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.