Adult Education College Preparatory Instructor
General Statement of Job
To provide specialized, short term instruction to returning adult learners to cover the gap between the academic knowledge that most high school and GED graduates have and the academic knowledge they will need to be successful in college entrance exams.
Location Highland Campus Hours 6-9 pm, 2 days a week for 10 weeks. Salary $31.25/hr FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To Executive Director, Adult Education Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Best practices in classroom management.
- Texas College and Career Readiness Standards.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule which may include evenings and weekends.
- Maintaining confidentiality of student records and information.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills to communicate complex information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Experience teaching developmental and/or college credit coursework.
- Experience working with educationally and/or economically disadvantaged adult students.
- Bachelors degree in education or related field with some graduate coursework in education and experience in adult education, developmental education, or post-secondary education.
- Master's degree in education, English, or related field.
- Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation for local Austin area travel.
- Documentation of Tuberculin-free condition.
- Work is performed in a standard office or classroom environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Preferred: Masters degree in education, English, or related field, experience teaching developmental and/or college credit coursework, experience working with educationally and/or economically disadvantaged adult students.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.