I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
GW Libraries and Academic Innovation (GWLAI) is a catalyst, a spark to generate new ideas and new possibilities. Responsive to the changing landscape of information and education, being sensitive both to traditional and emergent modes of communication, we bring together diverse constituents of faculty, students, and staff in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and deeply engaged intellectual community to support research, teaching and learning. As part of the larger George Washington University, we are a nexus where exciting things happen, where change happens, where growth happens. Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean for Libraries and Academic Innovation, the Administrative Supervisor oversees the planning, implementation, and coordination assistance for the GWLAI's operational activities.
The incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Understands the workloads of the administrative support personnel in the GWLAI organization and establishes a process for sharing the work across the positions to ensure that support is provided for all GWLAI units. Manages multiple Administrative staff members as well as the clerical/administrative support productivity by managing workflows, overseeing performance quality, and conducting annual reviews. Maintains responsibility for the efficient flow of work in the office by ensuring that all equipment is operational and that adequate personnel support supply levels are maintained. Ensures that all administrative support positions are covered when one of these individuals is out.
- Manages the day-to-day administrative activities of the Senior Associate Dean for Libraries and Academic Innovation and LAI Senior Leadership, including direct support of the Associate Dean of Innovative Teaching and Learning. Establishes procedures for conducting daily office administrative operations in accordance with the Leadership guidelines. Recommends administrative policy changes for approval by the Senior Leadership. Oversees calendars ensuring accurate scheduling of meetings and other events.
- Assists in preparing and monitoring expense reports as well as PCard activity.
- Assists with events in coordination with the Communications and Outreach team.
- Utilizes knowledge and understanding of GW's policies, procedures, and administrative systems to support the University's missions and to assist in planning, developing, and implementing projects and programs for GWLAI.
- Prepares Senior Leadership for scheduled meetings including: senior leadership meetings, town-hall meetings, senior leadership offsite meetings, etc. Participates in the senior leadership meetings both as a contributor and to document the discussions.
- Proactively composes memos, reports, presentations, and correspondence that reflect the Leadership's views and styles.
- Proactively identifies efficiencies that can be achieved in GWLAI with tasks appropriate for administrative support personnel and works with the staff to achieve these efficiencies.
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
High school diploma/GED or equivalent combination of training and experience, is necessary plus 4 years of relevant experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree preferred but not required
- Professional experience supporting senior level individual contributors and/or executives
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- High level of proficiency in MS Office, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, develop and implement improvements to a variety of work processes
- Experience serving as a resource for senior level leadership
- Experience with managing a team of individuals
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: University Libraries Family Administration Sub-Family Administrative / Operations Stream Management Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006334 Job Open Date: 05/12/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter