Master Machinist - CAD-CAM Specialist
University of Delaware
Job Title Master Machinist - CAD-CAM Specialist
Job ID 104603
Location Newark, DE
Master Machinist - CAD/CAM Specialist
DEADLINE: May 11, 2017
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under limited supervision, introduce students to CAD/CAM processing, CNC programming, and manufacturing utilizing 3-axis and 2-axis machining equipment. The ability to train students to operate manual machine shop equipment is also required. Help manage the instructional machine shop within the College of Engineering. Schedule and monitor the use of the instructional machine shop by students, by researchers, and by student engineering organizations. Train individuals to safely and effectively operate machine shop equipment. Responsible for safety adherence within the instructional machine shop; maintain shop tools and equipment in safe operating condition. A high level of independent judgment is required.
- Help manage the efficient use of the instructional machine shop.
- Act as a resource for students and faculty:
- Provide advice and technical resource material on machining techniques, tools, materials and design.
- Develop and deliver presentations to engineering classes on topics determined by the instructors.
- Assist with design and supervision of in-shop projects for engineering courses.
- Compile and report student participation and quiz results to instructors.
- Provide design and fabrication assistance to student engineering organizations such as the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and Engineers Without Borders (EWB).
- Maintain various financial records (T&M charge forms, purchasing card records, etc.)
- Help maintain records of which students have qualified for shop use and specific machine use.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of tools, hardware, and materials for use by students and faculty.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Requires a minimum of a high school diploma or GED with more than ten years of machine shop experience; completion of standard trades school, additional technical training programs and/or journeyman status.
- Additional training in the sciences or basic engineering is preferred.
- Requires technical aptitude and comprehensive knowledge of machine tools, shop math, precision measuring instruments, working properties of metals and plastics, and machine shop and stockroom operations; mechanical drawing skills; ability to perform design engineering and work independently from sketches, drawings, or verbal instructions; ability to organize, assign and direct the work of others.
- Competency in CNC machine programming and operation is required.
- AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or other CAD software experience is required.
- CAD/CAM processing and manufacturing experience is required.
- Experience operating Mazak and Prototrak machine shop equipment is preferred.
- Welding and sheet metal fabrication experience is desirable.
- Tool and die making skills are desirable.
- Experience as a teacher or trainer is desirable.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is necessary.
Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
With or without assistance, must be able to routinely lift up to 50 pounds. In certain positions, employment is dependent upon passing a University-specified medical evaluation related to the use of respiratory protection equipment. A modified workday time schedule may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html