Assistant Technical Director
Assistant Technical Director
Position Number: 53000053
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Gainesville
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for an Assistant Technical Director. This is a 12-month (renewable) appointment in the Department of Theatre beginning August 1, 2017. This position requires an enthusiastic, experience and creative individual with excellent organizational and motivational skills to share and implement a unique design and technology curriculum for the undergraduate level and produce award-winning theatre. The Assistant Technical Director supports the Production Technical Director in budgeting, drafting and overseeing construction and load-in and strikes of scenery for all productions. The prospective candidate must have a thorough knowledge of carpentry, welding, and theatrical rigging, demonstrated knowledge and experience in scenery construction techniques, the ability to generate working drawings in VectorWorks as well as strong verbal and written communication skills, and must have significant technical skills and abilities in all related theatrical fields. The Assistant Technical Director must the ability to show adaptability in all situations, a good sense of humor and the ability to work as a team member while always presenting a positive attitude.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 18,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Assistant Technical Director will:
- Implement Scenic, Lighting and Sound designs for all productions; Primary responsibilities will be in construction and rigging.
- Supervise and assure the safety of a workforce of students, professionals and community members of varying skill levels and experience in all areas of technical production.
- Purchase and procure supplies and materials, maintenance of facilities and equipment of four theater spaces and accompanying shops, storage and studio spaces.
- Organize and manage crews, maintain schedule of daily workloads, scheduling (vehicles, lifts, rental equipment, etc…) and other duties as assigned.
- Attend at all theater faculty/staff meetings, mandatory theater department meetings, tech-week rehearsals, and other meetings and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proven mastery of scenic carpentry and rigging, proven supervisory skills, must be able to climb ladders and scaffolding and use a personnel lift; knowledge of any or all of the following preferred: MIG welding, scenic painting, VectorWorks, lighting and projections for theatre, sound for theatre
- Demonstrated ability to finish projects on time and under tight deadlines, and to keep several jobs moving forward at one time
- Excellent verbal skills necessary, as well as ability to communicate with extreme diplomacy, professionalism, and graciousness
- Must possess sound judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with a variety of personality types
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm and under control in stressful situations
- Ability and willingness to work numerous nights and weekends
- Valid Georgia driver's license with good record and ability and willingness to load, unload, and drive department van
- Must be able to lift and move 50lbs minimum
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or Associate's with significant professional experience minimum; MFA preferred
- Five (5) years minimum experience in scenic carpentry
- ETCP Rigging - Theatre certificate preferred but not required
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references.
In addition to a background check, this position will also require a credit check.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.