Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Professional Research Assistant
Department of Medicine, Geriatric Medicine
Nature of Work:
This Professional Research Assistant position will participate in research related to advance care planning, older adults with serious illnesses, palliative care, and communication. The research work will involve qualitative research methods, including significant contact with patients, family members, healthcare team members and other research stakeholders. The role will be supervised by the principal investigator.
- Developing research and/or quality improvement project protocols;
- Conducting literature and general web searches;
- Recruiting and enrolling research participants, including obtaining informed consent;
- Conducting data collection using qualitative methods, including interviews, focus groups, participant observations
- Conducting qualitative data analysis including transcript coding.
- Maintaining regulatory documents in accordance with Denver VA and Institutional Review Board
- Maintaining research training and obtain appropriate credentials at appropriate study sites, such as University of Colorado Hospital and Denver VA Medical Center.
- Collaborating in the preparation of research manuscripts and research presentations;
- Assisting the Principal Investigator or study team with administrative or other activities
Supervision will be provided by the Principal Investigator. PRA must be able to work collaboratively with Principal Investigator and other multidisciplinary team members
May participate in training and/or supervision of other professional research assistants or students in conjunction with the Principal Investigator.
Examples of Work Performed: Work duties are variable.
- Conduct interviews (in person or by phone)
- Assist with focus group facilitation
- Analyze transcripts using thematic analysis and other qualitative research methods.
- Maintain detailed logs of project tasks, coordinate stakeholder meetings, create field notes
- May assist with primary data collection through surveys or electronic medical record review.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Experience in qualitative research methods and mixed methods
- Experience with community-based participatory research and stakeholder engagement
- Experience collaborating with a diverse healthcare team, including students, nurses, social workers, and physicians; experience teaching/training healthcare teams is highly beneficial
- Highly motivated to interact with older adults, chronically ill patients and their care providers
- Experience communicating and complying with Institutional Review Board regulations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
General Program Management and Research Skills
- Must have excellent communication skills and enjoy interacting with patients, health care providers and practice teams, and health care administrators, including recruiting for clinical research
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Must be creative and proactive
- Must be professional, responsible, persistent and organized
- Must maintain high standards of research ethics
Computer Skills Needed
- Expertise with Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to learn new computer systems and software quickly
- Atlas.ti software skills preferred.
Physical Requirements And/Or Environmental Factors
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment and hospital.
- Extensive computer use
- Travel between institutions within the Denver metro area (transportation not provided)
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 9571
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20194 - SOM-MED-Geriatrics
Posting Date: May 12, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Dr. Hillary Lum
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00654322