International Student and Scholar Services Assistant
Salary: $38,340 - $54,348
Title: International Student and Scholar Services Assistant
Department: VP International Affairs Admin
Date Posted: 05/12/2017
Position Information: The International Student and Scholar Services Assistant oversees all front desk and office operations. This includes managing and coordinating office procedures and services related to day-to-day operations ensuring a smooth running of the office. The assistant is also responsible for training, scheduling, and supervising student assistants to provide reception services to international students, scholars and other community members. This is done in a welcoming and courteous manner while representing a professional image for International Affairs. The assistant will ensure continuous coverage of front desk during university business hours, either staffed by themselves or a trained student worker. The front desk coverage is expected to exhibit a high level of professionalism and intercultural sensitivity in a fast-paced, multi-lingual and culturally diverse environment.
Position is responsible for making decisions, and promoting teamwork through interpersonal skills and problem resolution. Develops and maintains current knowledge of International Affairs mission, vision, values and activities. Creates procedure manuals and orients students to the International Affairs office. Reports status of assigned projects to project leads.
Minimum Requirements: 1. Two (2) years related experience.
2. Ability to handle restricted and sensitive information in accordance with federal and state laws and University polices. Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality, attention to detail, and accuracy in all areas of responsibility.
3. Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with diverse populations including faculty, administrators, students, and parents. Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills in order to interact successfully and collaboratively with culturally diverse clientele and staff.
4. Ability to prioritize in a dynamic environment.
5. Must be organized, detail oriented, responsive and possess excellent follow through skills.
6. Ability to effectively communicate basic departmental procedures and services to native and non-native English speakers. Sufficient analytical skills to prioritize front desk inquiries and ability to facilitate appropriate referrals.
7. Skill in creating/editing documents or spreadsheets utilizing using Word, Access, Excel, FileMaker Pro, or other software applications; ability to manage website updates and keep informed of current web applications and technologies; ability to troubleshoot desktop, network and equipment problems.
8. Ability to work with frequent interruptions; organize and prioritize workload to ensure multiple deadlines are met; work effectively as an individual, a team member, and with diverse groups to meet and exceed customer service expectations.
9. Strong sense of accountability and takes ownership and responsibility for projects.
10. Office management experience.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Administrative experience in an academic environment providing support for staff and/or faculty.
2. Advanced knowledge and skill with computer/web applications.
3. International experience/skills (e.g. bi/multi-lingual, study or work experience abroad, experience with an international customer population, etc.).
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #12 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 55th among top public universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview