Information Technology Specialist
Information Technology Specialist
Mt. San Antonio College
Job Category: Classified
Time (Percent Time): 100%
Term (months/year): 12 months per year
Current Work Schedule (days, hours): Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Salary Range: A-95
Salary: Steps 1 - 6, $4,769 - $6,087 per month
Health & Welfare: College contributes $10,946 toward annual premium for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees. The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and MetLife Social Security Alternative Plan. *Note Salary and Health & Welfare Benefits are subject to change.
Department: Information Technology
Open Date: 05/10/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Under general direction, performs a variety of technical duties in implementing, maintaining, monitoring, and auditing data system security authorizations and permissions; oversees and participates in computer operations, data processing and interpretation functions, and production of computerized forms, documents, and reports; coordinates communications, production schedules, and services to meet data processing and reporting needs of District staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Director, Enterprise Application Systems. Exercises no direct supervision of staff. Exercises technical and functional direction over and provides training to assigned staff.
This is a specialized journey-level classification responsible for providing user support, reporting and processing of system data, and ensuring data security authorizations and permissions are in place and effective. Incumbents are expected to possess knowledge of computer operations and data processing and management. The work requires the frequent use of tact and judgment and working knowledge of District-wide information technology systems and operations. This classification is distinguished from other information technology classifications by specializing in scheduling data processing and production of computerized forms, documents, and reports.
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
• Creates, modifies, updates, and troubleshoots systems user accounts, passwords, and security clearances; implements, monitors, and audits systems security authorization and permissions; evaluates releases for security needs.
• Provides support to Helpdesk and campus users regarding user account issues.
• Conducts a quarterly review of system security, ensuing that account requests and access permissions are appropriate and comply with audit standards.
• Performs technical work related to coordinating computer operations, setting and monitoring security authorizations and permissions.
• Provides technical instruction to less experienced staff.
• Sets and monitors automation schedules incorporating ad hoc requests and business process defined jobs; processes scheduled and ad hoc job requests in data systems.
• Ensures that output and logs created by scheduled jobs are reviewed and that issues are quickly addressed by appropriate staff members.
• Monitors systems resources for possible errors and contacts appropriate systems staff for error recovery.
• Processes department requests and updates system security by adding and modifying forms, definitions, and security classes.
• Assists users with operational questions or problems and in the use of data systems related to specific departmental activities.
• Performs research on duplicate identification numbers, initiates error recovery process; documents changes.
• Creates, builds, and modifies forms, documents, and reports to perform data processing and reporting and to meet the needs of various departments; answers questions about data means; sets up report definitions to ensure proper formatting for online viewing.
• Assists departments with configuring scanning system security and customization of scanning processes.
• Maintains and compiles documentation of user procedures, technical references, training manuals, handbooks, and guides.
• Maintains a regularly updated production calendar, clearly identifying the daily, weekly, and monthly beginning of term and end of term Information Technology activities. The annual production calendar will include processes for admissions processing, financial aid processing and disbursement, registration appointments, academic standing calculations, fiscal transactions, payroll transactions, and numerous other activities scheduled on systems by departments throughout the campus. Ensure that these jobs are ran successfully on schedule with appropriate parameters and at appropriate times.
• Ensures the completion of term-end and annual state and federally mandated reporting activities.
• Provide technical support and assistance to administrative departments to assure that data reported is accurate and passes all edits for successful submission.
• Assist with running surveys/tests and print/fold reports as needed.
• Participates in group problem solving activities to promote continual business process improvements and initiatives.
• Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
Performs related duties as required
• Principles, practices, and methods of data system security.
• Principles and practices of computer operations, data processing and analysis functions, and production of computerized forms, documents, and reports.
• Principles of data management concepts and structures, including data collection, manipulation, and distribution requirements for analysis and reporting functions.
• Principles, practices, and methods of operating computers and peripheral equipment.
• Procedures for creating and modifying systems security.
• District data processing systems and software applications.
• Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work.
• Record keeping principles and procedures.
• English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
• Specific knowledge of the operations and account creation processes for a variety of enterprise applications.
• Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, students, and District staff, including individuals of various ages, disabilities, socio-economic and ethnic groups.
Skills and Abilities:
• Plan, organize, and coordinate the submission of data files to external agencies.
• Proactively ensure systems are functioning properly.
• Implement, monitor, and audit data system security authorization and permissions.
• Make sound decisions regarding access control.
• Set and monitor automation schedules and create and process ad hoc requests.
• Evaluate user needs and create, build, and modify forms, documents, and reports for data processing and reporting.
• Read and understand technical documentation.
• Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with applicable District standards, policies, and procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
• Compose clear and concise correspondence and reports.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
• Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
• Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
• Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
• Understand scope of authority in making independent decisions.
• Review situations accurately and determine appropriate course of action using judgment according to established policies and procedures.
• Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Minimum Qualifications/Education & Experience:
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college in computer science, management information systems, or a related field, and two (2) full-time equivalent years of progressively responsible experience working with data systems.
License(s) & Other Requirements:
The incumbent may periodically be required to travel to a variety of locations. If required to operate a vehicle in the position, employees must demonstrate possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with staff, students, and/or the public in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various District sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Incumbents in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Incumbents must possess the ability to lift and carry materials and objects up to 20 pounds.
Instructions re: Confidential Letter of Recommendation:
Conditions of Employment:
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees - The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: http://www.mtsac.edu/safety/pdf/2014ASRFinal.pdf
The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
Typing Certificate Requirements:
First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on June 1, 2017 are assured consideration.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. Three letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation).
5. College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree (if applicable) are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: email@example.com.
THE MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE DISTRICT WILL NOT SPONSOR ANY VISA APPLICATIONS.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to complete and submit your application for this position.
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.
Conflict of Interest:
Conflict of Interest
Cancel RTF Policy:
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION. THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
To apply, visit: https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/