Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09040
Location: Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center
Address: See Below
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Academic Professional; Level 2; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: 2016/2017 Salary Range: $39,839 to $69,078/yr. (see "Additional Posting Information" section for details)
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday; 40 hours per week between 8am and 5pm; schedule to be arranged based on the needs of the curriculum."
The Vocational Trainer is part of a team which is responsible for facilitating an intensive two week Career Link curriculum to long-term unemployed and under-employed adults who are enrolled in the Reboot NW grant. Career Link will provide a structured curriculum for students who have a need to increase their knowledge of Demand Driven targeted industries focusing on Technology and Advanced Manufacturing The Vocational Trainer will also facilitate and further knowledge in career exploration, training opportunities, barriers to employment and career readiness. Incumbents work collaboratively with the Reboot NW Coach and WorkSource Staff to assist in the implementation of occupational skills training plans, on-the-job training, internships and placement." Other duties include coordinating Reboot Alumni networking events in conjunction with local employers and educational institutions
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
13.33 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
- Provide training and workshops to Workforce Development students who have a need to increase their knowledge of Demand Driven Industries including Information Technology, Advanced Manufacturing, High Technology Manufacturing.
-Research specific industry trends and labor market information to enhance the curriculum and provide guidance to the students
- Follow daily lesson plans according to appropriate timelines, adjusting curriculum when necessary.
- Provide workshop facilitation at locations that are demand driven.
- Collaborate closely with WorkSource staff including WorkSource Manager, Employment Specialists, Administrative Assistants on student planning and projects, as needed.
- Provide information and encouragement to students regarding issues of employment, attendance, and attitude, as necessary, coordinating closely with the Worksource staff and manager.
- Report student behavioral issues to the WorkSource Manager.
- Assist students with reaching rigorous job and training-readiness goals. Coordinate classroom work with activities.
- Disseminate program information, including travel policy, job leads, field trips/maps, and any other program information, monitor and track classroom supplies; coordinate with WorkSource Administrative Assistant regarding supply needs.
-Facilitating off-site and evening events and activities as needed
- Track classroom attendance in database
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
Bachelor's degree in relevant content area of vocational curriculum, adult education, or related field. (experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis).
Demonstrated work experience providing training to adults in relevant content area of vocational curriculum (ESL, healthcare, construction, office skill technology, institutional food service, direct care worker, customer service, high-tech manufacturing, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of effective training techniques and adult learning theory.
Ability to counsel students one-on-one about job readiness, career goals and job search strategies.
Ability to prioritize or to change priorities quickly and frequently. Ability to work with an ethnically and culturally diverse population. Ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Ability to set boundaries, particularly with adult students. Ability to follow-through with students, staff and employers.
Skill in operating a computer and various supporting software packages.
Skill in effective group facilitation.
- Work Experience as a Vocational Trainer in a Workforce Development Program.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating workshops focused on career development and exploration
- Experience with training techniques and motivational adult learning theory.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing challenging classroom situations.
- Able to set boundaries, particularly with adult students; able to work positively with different personality types and frequent changes and/or interruptions.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating and marketing events
- Experience developing and maintaining working relationships with employers and educational partners
Additional Posting Information:
Additional Posting Information:
- Initial salary placement will normally be at Step 1. Advanced initial salary placement for directly relevant professional, business or industrial experience may be applied for new Academic Professionals.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Effective January 1, 2014, all applicants hired by the college will be required to reimburse PCC for the cost of their criminal background check, through payroll deduction.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Faculty/Academic Professional Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.