SBDC Regional Director
Position Accountabilities and Essential Functions:
The Michigan Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Great Lakes Bay Region is located at Delta College’s Main Campus. We are here to support entrepreneurs, innovators and small businesses emerging and growing across the great state of Michigan. We provide confidential, no-cost assistance for small businesses to start and grow in the Great Lakes Bay Region. This is a federally funded and locally supported program.
SBDC REGIONAL DIRECTOR ROLE:
To provide comprehensive leadership, oversight, planning, resource development, coordination and management of a Michigan SBDC Regional Center. The Region shall provide business assistance services to entrepreneurs and businesses located throughout Arenac, Bay, Midland and Saginaw counties.
Delta College Corporate Services expects job performance to be consistent with its mission, values, and business objectives, and believes that each employee contributes to improved performance by continuously searching for ways to improve offerings, products, services and processes.
- Liaison with state headquarters, collaborate on state network initiatives, and serve on state leadership teams for local, state and/or federal business assistance programs.
- Develop and implement a region-wide strategic business assistance program providing a high-quality level of ( a ) one-on-one business consulting, ( b ) a diverse mix of business seminars and training events, ( c ) research support services, and ( d ) advocacy on behalf of the small business sector in the designated four county Region.
- Work with and manage collaboration with local, state and federal business assistance including: regional Economic Development organizations, The Business Resource Center (BRC), Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC), U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA, and the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Assess the counseling, training, research, and advocacy needs of entrepreneurs and small businesses in the designated four county Region.
- Prepare and manage an approved financial budget for the region.
- Collaborate with the Delta Foundation Office to develop a broad base of substantial external funding support and management of these resources.
- Responsible for operation and support of a Management Information System to report and analyze detailed client data and program accomplishments which are reported to the state office.
- Provide and oversee substantive delivery of one-on-one business counseling assistance, training and research for businesses in the region.
- Select, train and manage high quality professional and administrative staff to carry out the work programs of the Regional Center.
- Establish performance goals for each of the business counselors and centers within the Great Lakes Bay Region.
- Monitor, assess and report Center, Satellite and Affiliate performance in relation to the Regional and MI-SBDC overall strategic plan.
- Build relationships and provide services to a diverse cultural, ethnic and social constituency.
- Develop meaningful and productive linkages with Delta College Corporate Services, Delta College and other higher educational institutions within the Great Lakes Bay Region.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university program in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field
- Minimum of six years of related experience in a professional office environment
- 3-5 years experience in business consulting, management, business ownership
- Demonstrated success as a highly skilled manager and administrator with a proven track record
- Demonstrated experience in program development/oversight
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple/simultaneous projects at various stages
- Office systems experience required: intermediate level in Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel, familiarity with Access
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCES CONSIDERED:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university program in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field