Web Application Developer I
Web Application Developer I
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Under supervision of the Director, and guidance from the Web development lead, the Web Applications Developer is responsible for developing, testing, implementing and maintaining software and database components and interfaces for web-based applications within a team of Web application and database developers. Provides technical support for web-based academic software.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Acts as primary support for various web applications, including but not limited to Drupal, WordPress and MediaWiki.
• Reviews code developed by external vendors and the open source community to ensure it follows standards and is secure.
• Assists systems administrators on web server configuration issues and debugging.
• Coordinates with the Helpdesk to address web application and service issues.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Experience with Drupal and WordPress. Drupal 8 experience is a plus.
• Demonstrated web backend experience using PHP, Python, Perl, MySQL, HTML, and CSS.
• Experience with responsive design, cross-browser support, and in-browser debugging. Experience with SASS or LESS a plus.
• Experience with libraries and frameworks such as JQuery, Angular, or React are a plus.
• Experience using and programming on UNIX platforms and working with web servers such as Apache, Nginx and Tomcat.
• Knowledge of web site design best practices, including web standards and accessibility.
• Experience using versioning tools like Git or SVN.
• Must have ability to communicate and work with people of all levels of technical ability.
• Must collaborate effectively across technical and functional disciplines.
• Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.
• Must possess the ability to work independently, maintain work quality, reprioritize projects and meet deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, and has a passion for web development.
Posting Date: 05/11/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4501
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.