College Assistant - Center for Teaching and Learning & Education Technology
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Center for Teaching, Learning, and Educational Technology at Hostos Community College is seeking College Assistants to provide administrative support by performing clerical functions. This is an excellent opportunity for motivated individuals interested in pursuing a career in the field of Teaching, Learning and Academic Technology or Higher Education Administration.
College Assistants will be assigned to work a schedule of 20 hours per week and be assigned the following duties:
- Performs basic clerical, administrative, research, and other related duties for the office.
- Answers telephone, screens calls, takes accurate messages and provides general information.
- Prepares communications, takes minutes, and schedules meetings.
- Updates information in newsletter and website.
- Follows up on project requirements and deadlines.
- Schedules meetings and sets up/coordinates meetings for the Center Director as required.
- Assists with data collection for project and office reports.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Entry level experience in Higher Education or related field
- Ability to provide quality customer service
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite and e-mail tools
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
- Aptitude for detail as well as adaptability to change
$12 - $15/hr
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: "Employment", and "Search Job Postings"
Please attach cover letter and resume.
Open until filled. (Ongoing recruitment)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hostos Community College
Job Title: College Assistant - Center for Teaching and Learning & Education Technology
Job ID: 16605
Full/Part Time: Part-Time