Center for Academic Advancement - ACADEMIC ADVISOR
Vacancy ID S2115 Job Title ACADEMIC ADVISOR Department Center for Academic Advancement School/Parent Organization Provost and Educational Affairs Parent Org Division Provost and Educational Affairs Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 06/19/2017 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 8:30 AM Normal End Time 5:00 PM Position/Job Summary
Advise Ithaca College students on academic issues including degree requirements and the Integrated Core Curriculum (ICC); interpret and explain related college-wide policies and procedures. Provide academic advising services to all undergraduates regardless of class standing or status. Work collaboratively with other student academic services offices to support student engagement and retention.
- Responsible for delivering Academic Advising programs and services. Participate in the development of in-house and online programming and resources, advise students on academic issues including degree requirements and the Integrated Core Curriculum (ICC).
- Advise and counsel students on academic and curricular issues, as well as related career issues; identify the educational options appropriate for each student and assist with the analysis of each option, including possible outcomes and their implications; if needed, refer student to counseling services and other campus resources; set up action plans for students to explore alternative majors and programs of study.
- Identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements; assist students in completion of degree requirements; as appropriate, support students pursuing petitions and amendments to their programs of study.
- Provide outreach and programming to students on academic warning; identify current and potential needs or problem areas such as study skills and need for tutoring and refer students to appropriate campus resources for assistance; communicate findings to other college employees in accordance with student privacy guidelines.
- Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Interpret and explain College policies and procedures related to academic programs and requirements. Perform outreach to Associate/Assistant Deans, faculty advisors, and to other related programs and services.
- Assist students with the process of registration; provide guidance on course selection in keeping with students' interests, values and abilities.
- Maintain student files and records, and document all pertinent student information, and ensure that online information systems are up to date regarding changes to student status.
- Assist prospective students in understanding the graduation requirements of Ithaca College; teach transfer student sections of the Ithaca Seminar.
- Prepare advising materials, such as brochures, handouts, general information summaries, and newsletters. Serve as liaison for departments in providing advisement information.
- Assist in recruitment of potential students by advising them of general academic requirements; describe courses and assist potential students in identifying possible course selections.
- Participate in recruitment and orientation programs for prospective students or participants in special programs, such as internships or advanced standing programs.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two years' academic advising experience in a higher education setting; familiarity with student development theory and current advising best practices and principles; strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment are required. Master's degree in higher education, counseling or related field; college teaching experience; demonstrated skills in interviewing and advising and general knowledge of issues and trends in higher education; experience with national professional organizations such as NACADA preferred. Must be able to work occasional evenings or weekends as needed for program staffing.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. Our strategic plan, IC 20/20, positions us to offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $47,476 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).