Assistant Professor of Reading or Literacy Studies
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR 9 MO, TENURE-TRACK
Working Title: Assistant Professor of Reading or Literacy Studies
Type of Employment: Faculty
Department: School of Teacher Ed and Leadership
Division: Academic Affairs and Research
Proposed Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Position Summary: Arkansas State University is seeking an Assistant Professor of Reading or Literacy Studies for a Tenure-track 9 month appointment.
- Teach coursework in the Teacher Education department and Graduate Reading programs and some teaching responsibilities in the undergraduate programs may be included, as need by the department
- Contribute to further development of the Graduate Reading programs, with an emphasis in reading interventions and early literacy and/or literacy studies
- Conduct scholarly research for academic presentation and publication from a variety of perspectives and theoretical lenses
- Advise thesis and dissertation candidates
- Teach on-site, off-campus, via distance technology, or hybrid methods
- Provide service to the university, area public schools, and the community
- Assist with departmental and university partnership initiatives
- Advise graduate and undergraduate majors
- Must possess scholarly work in Reading or Literacy Studies such as: diagnosis and intervention with struggling readers, human empowerment through literacy development; literacy within political, social, and economic contexts; and adult, family and community literacy.
General Days/Hours: Standard work week/days. Some nights or weekend work may be required.
Knowledge/Skills/Ability: Knowledge of current initiatives and issues in reading and public school literacy programs will be expected.
Previous experience with accreditation processes, IRA standards, teaching at the university level, or working in public school reading programs is preferred.
Minimum Qualifications: Ph.D. in Reading or Literacy Studies, Curriculum and Instruction or related field. ABDs will be considered only with documentation of a successful finishing date prior to employment.
Arkansas State University is a public, multi-campus higher education system with enrollment in excess of 22,000 students. Approximately 14,000 students attend the Jonesboro campus where the student body is diverse. The campus has a renewed focus on international student recruitment and capital campaign development. Jonesboro has a population of approximately 67,000 and is located 70 miles northwest of Memphis (www.jonesborochamber.org).
EEO Statement: It is the policy of Arkansas State University to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, status as a veteran or other status protected by law; and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive continuing program of affirmative action.