Director, Margolis Markets Information Lab - College of Business (A1700284)
Director, Margolis Markets Information Lab
Department of Finance
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Finance at Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. We are interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community. The Department invites applicants for the position of Director of the Margolis Markets Information Lab.
The Margolis Markets Information Lab and the Infinium Capital Management Trading Lab host state-of-the-art hardware and software platforms to support the instructional and research activities of the Department of Finance at the College of Business, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Its mission is to engage with students, faculty and industry partners to promote the use of cutting-edge tools used in the financial industry for quantitative analysis of financial markets data, financial forecasting and modeling, trading simulation, business analytics, and risk evaluation and management. The Lab encourages innovative uses of instructional technology to facilitate experiential, hands-on learning and collaborative problem-solving in order to expand students' understanding of modern finance. The Director is responsible for oversight and management of all operations and staffing of the Lab. This individual is responsible for allocating resources efficiently and within approved College budget, in compliance with University policy.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify and evaluate, on an ongoing basis, industry-leading software applications and data feeds that belong in the core knowledge of every finance professional. Work with faculty in the Department of Finance to integrate such tools into the curriculum of undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Develop instructional materials, recruit and train student tutors, and offer non-credit and certificate courses to allow students to gain proficiency in using software tools and applications.
- Manage a highly selective Lab intern program that prepares top students to serve as expert resources within the Lab, and to lead training tutorials.
- Manage technical support staff, oversee acquisition and maintenance of equipment and software, and develop Lab policies and protocols to ensure the Lab maintains functionality and operates smoothly.
- Build relationships with corporate partners in the business community in order to ensure that the Lab's training curriculum and technology are aligned with industry requirements, and to build support for the Lab's efforts.
- Work with other units within the College of Business and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to identify synergistic collaborative opportunities that will enhance the Department's ability to accomplish its research and teaching mission.
- Cooperate with the Director of Business Information Technology Services to facilitate the effective incorporation of technology into courses and research efforts across the College of Business.
- Work with Department and College leadership to identify new strategic initiatives to maintain the Lab's position at the forefront of integrating financial technology and education.
Candidates must possess a Master's degree at minimum, and have a combination of academic and professional work experience in the area of finance, management information systems, or related fields. Minimum of three years of progressively more responsible positions as a financial information technology executive is preferred. Excellent computer and analytical skills, as well as strong communication and writing ability, are vital. The Director must be able to interact effectively with academics, students, corporate executives, university staff, and individuals of diverse backgrounds. Good organizational skills and ability to follow through on projects are essential.
Commensurate with rank and experience.
PROPOSED STARTING DATE
As soon as possible after the close date.
For full consideration please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and select the position for which you are applying, then upload all required documents, including cover letter, c.v., contact information for three professional references, and a one-page statement explaining how you would execute the vision of this research center, no later than June 22, 2017. Interviews and inquiries may take place prior to the close date. Applications will not be accepted via mail or email.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Mary Barker at 217-333-5807 or email@example.com . You may also visit http://www.business.illinois.edu/finance for additional information about the Department and courses.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Business
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Director, Margolis Markets Information Lab - College of Business (A1700284)
Open Date: 05/11/2017
Organization Name: Finance