Admissions Specialist or Senior Admissions Specialist - Office of Undergraduate Admissions (A170028
University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign
Admissions Specialist or Senior Admissions Specialist
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an opening for an Admissions Specialist or Senior Admissions Specialist in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The Admissions Specialist/Senior Admissions Specialist handles the processing of undergraduate applications and is in charge of the evaluation and review of undergraduate applications throughout the admission cycle.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review freshman application information as submitted on the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) to ensure that information is entered accurately.
- Review application data in Banner and eAdmit systems.
- Evaluate high school coursework to ensure that admission requirements are met.
- Work advanced error reports and perform assigned tasks as part of application processing to ensure record accuracy within eAdmit.
- Use independent judgment to determine severity of errors/issues and best way to correct them.
- Process transfer applications using complex validation instructions, which includes checking availability of major at applicant's level and searching for documents received in previous applications.
- Ensure that all necessary items needed to make a transfer application complete are requested and evaluated in a timely manner.
- Utilize experiential judgment to discern and handle exceptions to routine functions.
- Serve as an expert in the use of the u.achieve/DARwin software system to evaluate transfer applicants' college coursework.
- Enter coursework, run audit reports, and print transfer evaluations.
- Proof transfer evaluations and applications processed by colleagues to ensure quality control.
- Evaluate and post transfer coursework for current and former UI students in u.achieve/DARwin.
- Serve as the transfer committee chair and/or admissions contact for one or more undergraduate colleges.
- Responsibilities include responding to telephone, email or mail inquiries regarding the processing and review of applications.
- Evaluate application credentials and make final admission decisions based on admissions policies, practices & professional judgment.
- Understand when applications need to be referred to college staff for review.
- Update decisions resulting from review and consult college staff if decision is questionable.
- Respond to appeal requests from denied applicants.
- Consulted when new admissions policies or practices are discussed by senior management.
- May participate in working groups to develop or change processes to support admission functions.
- Provide expert feedback; participate in decision-making process in conjunction with senior management.
- Initiate, track and view OUA communications with applicants and students in the customer/client relationship system.
- Leverage resources such as u.select, College Source, AACRAO, College Board to assist in job activities under own judgment.
- Coordinate various advanced admission projects: Assess/handle program, term and course change requests; evaluate preliminary freshman and/or transfer transcripts for student-athlete recruits and process student-athlete applications; review & assign accurate residency status for tuition purposes; create and update office forms and procedural documentation; and/or manage the accept/decline/withdraw process.
- Run reports needed for the processing and review of applications. Create new reports or modify existing ones using eAdmit and Slate reporting functions without supervisor assistance.
- Evaluate final high school and college transcripts.
- Identify poor-performance final transcripts which require consultation with senior OUA and/or college staff.
- Identify and monitor admitted students requiring a hold on record. Apply and remove hold status on academic records.
- Assist senior staff in monitoring various application-related error reports.
- Prepare training materials and assist in the training of new staff members and/or student workers.
- Participate as a member of one or more freshman review committees.
- Use professional judgment to make admission decisions based on evaluation of application credentials and admissions policies.
- Evaluate, admit and deny normal and special group non-degree applications.
- Initiate, track, and view OUA communication with applicants and students within the customer/client relationship management system.
Required education, experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- At least one year of relevant experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Familiarity with software systems
Preferred education, experience and qualifications:
- Familiarity with Banner, Slate and/or DARwin/u.achieve.
Additional required experience and qualifications for senior position:
- At least two years of admissions processing experience and at least one year of experience working in Undergraduate Admissions or performing admissions-related duties.
- Familiarity with Banner, u.achieve/DARwin, eAdmit, Slate and general computer experience.
- Must enjoy working with people and be very accurate with detailed work.
This position is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position and the salary for the non-senior position is $32,000 and the salary for the senior position is $35,000. To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/ and upload your letter of application, resume, and a list of three professional references, including contact information by May 25, 2017. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed. The preferred start date for this position is as soon as possible after the close of the search. For further information about this position, please contact Jennifer Steiling at 217-300-2734.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon accepting a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Organization Name: Undergraduate Admissions
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 05/11/2017
Close Date: 05/25/2017