Laboratory Specialist I
Working Title: Laboratory Specialist I
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Pharmacology
Posting Date: 09-14-2016
The Department of Pharmacology at the University of Virginia is seeking a lab specialist junior (Lab Specialist 1) to assist investigators with experiments designed to investigate sphingolipids in cancer and ocular diseases. Skill sets in biochemistry, cellular biology, and physiology are desired. The individual will predominantly be performing rodent-based assays (e.g. angiogenesis, leukocyte adhesion, cancer models), maintaining mouse colonies, and performing immunohistochemistry and fluorescence microscopy. Additional experimental approaches may entail flow cytometry, western blotting, and preparation of samples for mass spectrometry
A Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline and 1-4 years laboratory experience in an academic or industrial laboratory setting is required. Relevant student experience will be considered. Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and statistical/bioinformatics analyses is also required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) A strong conceptual grasp of basic biochemical principles is essential.
2) Enthusiasm for experimental research is essential.
3) Willingness to perform mouse dissections and surgical procedures
4) Competence in technical tasks as measured by reasonable speed and accuracy is essential
5) Willingness to take care of laboratory chores such as washing and autoclaving of glassware
6) Ability to install and use computer hardware, software and peripherals is essential
7) Proficiency in English and good communication skills.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=80125