Vice Provost Academic Outreach - 110500
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday; 8:00am-5:00pm; overtime as needed
New College at the University of North Texas (UNT) invites applications for the position of Academic Counselor. Persons in this position support the College by providing academic and career counseling, referrals, transcript evaluation, and degree program advising to undergraduate Bachelor of Applied Arts & Sciences (BAAS) majors and prospective transfer students in individual and group sessions. BAAS is an academic program designed support degree completion among non-traditional students. It is focused on facilitating transfer from community college technical programs and has the ability to incorporate military credits. The BAAS degree has been a strong part of UNT degree offerings since the 1970's and has become increasingly important as state priorities focus on encouraging post-secondary credentials, including those in technical fields.
The Academic Counselor must have a demonstrated capacity to:
* Engage students across a spectrum of backgrounds, ages, levels of experience and career aspirations, and the ability to work collaboratively with BAAS faculty to promote student success.
* Assisting with recruitment, registration, orientation, and student success initiatives each semester and helping to represent the BAAS program at UNT academic functions.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Master's Degree and two years of experience in student affairs, student services, counseling, professional academic advising, or related experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
* Knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
* Strong presentation skills
* Strong problem solving skills
* Strong critical thinking skills
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
* Ability to work independently
The preferred candidate will possess one or more of the following additional qualifications:
* Two or more years of professional academic advising experience.
* Experience working with PeopleSoft.
* Experience working with non-traditional adult learners.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter with their online application.
Required working hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; however, occasional overtime on evenings or weekends is required.
Some travel to UNT off-campus locations may also be required on occasion.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting