International Student Advisor (Program Engagement)
8AM - 5PM
$40,300 - $59,800
Using professional student services/intercultural communication theories and concepts, creates and implements professional programs that foster intercultural competence and global connections across campus; programs that facilitate the educational, professional and personal success of UCR students. Serves as a Designated School Official; independently providing expert immigration services and complex regulatory advising to international students. Advises students, staff and faculty across campus, providing in- depth guidance on all matters relevant to international students. Contributes to outreach and campus training that provides students, staff and faculty with the resources and skills they need to effectively contribute to an increasingly international campus. Works with the team to make recommendations for changes to policies, practices, procedures and programs impacting international students.
Abilities in problem identification, reasoning.
Skills in service orientation, active listening, critical thinking.
Ability to multi-task, verbal communication, written communication and organization skills.
Basic knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
Knowledge of SEVIS reporting requirements, as well as federal immigration laws and regulations pertaining to international students in F and J status. Demonstrated ability to research, comprehend, analyze and apply complex immigration regulations.
Skill in communicating effectively and professionally using tact and diplomacy and the ability to work effectively as an individual, a team member and with diverse groups.
Knowledge of University processes and procedures.
Knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs.
Understanding of University rules and regulations.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview