Desktop Support Consultant
Purpose of Position
Macalester College Information Technology Services seeks an enthusiastic, client-focused individual to serve as a full-time Desktop Support Consultant and Apple systems administrator. This position will be responsible delivering high quality technical support and consulting services to the Macalester community and will take primary responsibility for Apple technology support and management for institutionally owned devices.
- Provides outstanding client service and computer support within the organization, including students, faculty, staff, and guests, with the goal of reducing campus operations, interruption due to computer technical issues through issue resolution and proactive technical training, device management, consulting, and advocacy.
- Serves as the primary administrator for Apple management and support tools, such as JAMF Pro and Apple GSX.
- Creates and maintains the standard library of Apple software images and application packages/installers that are available to campus.
- Coordinates inventory and lifecycle management for Apple devices and related hardware.
- Assists with management and support of campus computer labs and classrooms.
- Contributes to planning desktop computing development at the College, including evaluating new applications, testing configurations, and participating in information technology policy development.
- Collaborates with ITS and other College units in support of information technologies and services.
- Gathers, shares, and solves IT support challenges with colleagues around the College.
- Contributes to our overall goal of strong client service in a cooperative working environment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a technical support or customer service environment required. Experience in an academic environment preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills. Must be able to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with a diverse and independent group of clients, including students, faculty, and staff in resolving IT problems.
- Experience with Apple operating system image and application package creation and deployment.Experience with JAMF Pro or similar Apple administration systems strongly preferred. Experience with Bash scripting preferred.
- Broad range of experience with multiple operating systems (including recent/current versions of Microsoft Windows and Mac OS), networking protocols and services (especially Microsoft Active Directory), and personal productivity tools.
- Ability to initiate, plan, execute, monitor and close assigned projects. Ability to effectively prioritize and schedule tasks. Experience using request-tracking systems preferred.
- Proficiency with operation and support of desktop computer equipment, printers, and other peripherals required. Basic understanding of classroom technology such as digital projectors preferred.
- Ability and interest in collaborating within ITS, Macalester College, and/or regional and topical groups.
- Experience supervising or teaching/guiding student employees or staff may be helpful.
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than May 29, 2017. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Kita Yang, Recruiter
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.