Visiting Teaching Asst Professor of Spanish
The Department of Languages and Literatures offers undergraduate majors and minors in French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish; minors in Chinese, Japanese, and Hebrew; and electives in Arabic and classical Greek.
The Department of Languages and Literatures at the University of Denver will hire three Visiting Teaching Assistant Professors of Spanish for the 2017-2018 academic year. Non-tenure track positions, full benefits and 9-month contract. Positions may be extended, contingent on departmental need and funding. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to diversity and inclusive excellence through their teaching, research, and service. Start date: Sept. 1, 2017. Positions are open until filled, though applications received after May 31 are not guaranteed consideration. Teaching load is eight classes over three academic quarters, focusing on the first- and second-year Spanish curriculum. Possibility of teaching other courses, depending on program needs.
- Course instruction and grading.
- Preparation of class materials.
- Weekly office hours.
- Guidance and support of students.
- Prompt replies to email communication from students and colleagues.
- Participation in departmental meetings and Spanish program meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated excellence and effectiveness in teaching Spanish language to Anglophone students in the US at the college or university level.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to work effectively with underserved populations.
- Ability to work through email and to use MS Word and PowerPoint; ability to learn and use DU's Canvas course management system.
- MA in Spanish language, Spanish linguistics or related field (e.g., second-language acquisition) by the time of application.
- Native or near-native level fluency in Spanish and English.
- Experience teaching Spanish language at college or university level with proven excellence and effectiveness.
- Interest in incorporating inclusive excellence teaching methods and/or pedagogies to effectively engage broadly diverse student populations.
- One or more academic years of teaching Spanish language to Anglophone students at the college or university level with proven excellence and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated experience or evidence of a commitment to incorporate inclusive excellence teaching methods and/or pedagogies to effectively engage broadly diverse student populations.
- Extended residence or extensive travel in one or more Spanish-speaking countries.
To be coordinated with department chair.
Position is open until filled, though applications received after Wednesday, May 31, 2017 are not guaranteed consideration.
Candidates must apply online through du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. These positions are expected to begin September 1, 2017. If you have questions regarding this position please contact: Ms. Ingrid Weyher at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Letter of Application (Cover Letter)
- One-page statement of how the candidate can contribute to DU's inclusive excellence (diversity, equity and inclusion) mission (See http://www.du.edu/cme/resources/inclusive-excellence.html)
- Teaching philosophy statement
- Evidence of excellence in undergraduate Spanish language instruction, such as: (a)recent and complete course evaluations; (b) a link to an unedited sample teaching video, preferably of a first- or second-year language class (maximum 15 minutes long); (c )sample syllabus and sample lesson plan
PLEASE NOTE: The online application system is limited to uploading 5 files total. Please combine content (clearly labeled) if necessary to upload all required content.
In addition to the online application, two letters of recommendation and official transcripts of graduate studies should be directly sent , subject: Spanish VTAP Search or made available through Interfolio. Address for hard copy material:
Spanish VTAP Search Committee, c/o Ms. Ingrid WeyherDepartment of Languages & LiteraturesUniversity of DenverDenver, CO 80208-0931
PLEASE NOTE: For non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents interested in applying and who will need immigration sponsorship for this position, please contact Marcy Cozzens, Manager of Recruiting Services at
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.