Nursing Laboratory Manager
Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position is responsible for managing laboratory and simulation activities for nursing courses in the ASN and BSN.
• Prepares labs, including equipment, supplies, paperwork and simulators.
• Assists with simulations by providing support for the use of computers, simulators, mannequins, IV equipment, etc.
• Provides and/or coordinates the maintenance of laboratory equipment.
• Maintains inventory record system; orders and distributes lab supplies.
• Downloads software updates for all simulators and computers.
• Coordinates and schedules labs for simulations.
• Maintains lab safety; inspects equipment for proper operation and maintenance; informs faculty and students of safety protocols; oversees the collection and disposal of waste materials.
• Coordinates, demonstrates and performs skills testing for applicants to the Bridge Program.
• Orients and trains faculty in the use of laboratory equipment.
• Visits clinical sites to update site information and maintains current records.
• Assists with new student orientations.
• Participates in student recruitment activities; visits technical colleges; attends education and job fairs.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of adult education principles and practices.
• Knowledge of laboratory administration principles and practices.
• Knowledge of nursing principles and practices.
• Knowledge of course content.
• Knowledge of multimedia technology.
• Knowledge of college policies and procedures.
• Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
Guidelines include lab policies, procedures and safety principles; equipment operations and maintenance guidelines; and college policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of varied duties related to the coordination of nursing labs. The variety of tasks to be managed combined with frequent interruptions contributes to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to coordinate lab functions for the School of Nursing & Health Sciences. Success in this position contributes to the successful training of students.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
• Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with three years of experience or service.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain state certification as a Registered Nurse.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.