Requisition Number: STFR003684
Division/College: Bouve College of Health Sciences
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
The Grants Manager will report to the Chairperson of the Department of Health Sciences. This person provides high-level administration of all pre- and post-award activities related to grants and contracts; and works closely with PIs to manage and track expenses, monitor accounts for accuracy of charges, identify and manage deadlines, prepare payroll distribution change forms, prior approval forms, and journal entries when needed, manage and track expenses and monitor accounts for accuracy of charges; identify and manage deadlines; produce reports (e.g., through Banner and Cognos) and regularly review these with faculty investigators.
Specifically the Grants Manager will assist with forms and general information for grants including biosketches and resources/facilities; develop budgets, budget justifications, letters of support, and scope of work; ensure all requirements for submission are met; generate and process purchase orders, invoices, consultants, sub-contracts; monitor/reconcile monthly expenses, prepare budget reports; verify payroll, research staff employment and submit personnel action forms, and journal vouchers; process course buyouts; verify monthly salary verification reports; track and project post-award activities on all accounts to ensure expenses are in compliance with the scope of work and agencies requirements, process closeouts and no-cost extensions; meet with principal investigators regularly to discuss any financial discrepancies or budget adjustments; meet with the department chair to go over any issues and priorities. The Grants Manager is the main liaison between principal investigators affiliated with the Department of Health Sciences and the Bouve College of Health Sciences Office of Research (BCore), and the Office of Research and Finance (ORAF) and the Office of Development at the University.
Master’s degree required. Three-to-five years of grants/accounting administrative experience, preferably in the academic setting. Mature, experienced professional, capable of independently leading the administrative and management support activities of all grants and contracts in the department in an effective and timely manner. This position serves as external liaison for the department and requires proactive and effective communication with the offices of research and finance in and outside the university on behalf of principal investigators.
− Pre/Post award grants and contracts administration.
− Accounting and budgeting experience.
− Managerial principles and practices.
− Team environment.
− Troubleshooting and solving complex program issues.
− Customer service principles.
− Diverse populations and cultures.
- Experience administering research projects, including the financial and accounting requirements of federal, state or local granting agencies, foundations and corporations.
- Experience with budget development, tracking and projections.
- Experience with personnel hiring and payroll.
- Ability to provide accurate, professional, prompt, and courteous service to Principal Investigators.
- Ability to learn about university/and agency-specific grant operations, policies and accounting procedures.
- Proficiency with general computer software (Word, Excel, Publisher, Adobe, WordPress, etc.).
- Proficiency with software and tools related to grants and contracts submissions and tracking.
- Ability to multi-task, work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work independently.
- High degree of self-motivation to lead and follow through with projects.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Initiative and willingness to learn and/or develop new systems and approaches to manage grants and contracts effectively.
- Ability to develop and track monitoring systems.
- Ability to understand the needs of faculty researchers.
- Ability to generate reports and templates to meet the needs of PIs effectively and timely.
- Ability to provide and respond well to constructive feedback.
The Health Sciences Department is part of Bouvé College, which is one of nine colleges/schools at Northeastern University. The Department has over 38 interdisciplinary faculty and offers an undergraduate program in Health Sciences, four masters programs (Public Health, Exercise Science, Health Informatics and Health Data Analytics), and two doctoral programs (Population Health and Personal Health Informatics). The Department is home to more than 500 undergraduate students in Health Sciences. Current faculty conduct vibrant, collaborative research programs in urban health, epidemiology, social determinants of health, nutrition, exercise science, mental/behavioral health, violence; biostatistics, environmental health, personal health informatics, neurodevelopmental disorders, population health, aging, healthcare reform, and health policy and law. Aligned with Northeastern University’s commitment to interdisciplinary research and urban engagement, we work collaboratively across University entities, including the Institute on Urban Health Research and Practice, the Social Science Environmental Health Research Institute, and the Center for Community Health Education Research and Service, a network of 15 community health centers in Boston, the Department of Public Health and the Boston Public Health Commission. Bouvé College has strong ties with local and state health departments and numerous nearby academic and medical institutions (www.northeastern.edu/bouve/hs/index.html.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.