IHP Instructor/Assistant Professor/NP- VANAP-GE Program, School of Nursing (FACULTY)
MGH Institute of Health Professions in Boston is an innovative and interprofessional graduate school with post-baccalaureate, direct entry-level master’s and doctorate, and post-professional programs in Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, Speech-Language Pathology, Health Professions Education, and a PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences. The only degree-granting affiliate of Partners HealthCare System, the MGH Institute offers its more than 1,400 students unparalleled opportunities to learn and work alongside expert practitioners in a variety of hospital, clinical, community, and educational settings. The school, which has graduated more than 5,400 students since its 1977 founding by Massachusetts General Hospital, is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). Several programs are highly ranked by U.S. News & World Report and the school has been named for the past six years as a Great College to Work for by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Please be aware that this is a special faculty position for an academic-clinical partnership faculty role. It includes a dual appointment. The selected candidate will hold a Nurse Practitioner position at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in White River Junction, VT, and a Faculty position at the MGH Institute of Health Professions School of Nursing in Charlestown, MA. The selected candidate will be based primarily at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in White River Junction, VT, but will need to travel to Charlestown, MA for faculty work.
The incumbent will function as nurse practitioner (NP) faculty for the VANAP-GE Program at a minimum of 0.5 FTE and a maximum of a 1.0 FTE, and may provide care for an identified patient panel. In the clinical role, an advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) has prescriptive authority and applies the nursing process and care management principles within a collaborative, interdisciplinary practice setting, enabling the effective implementation of health promotion and prevention practices and management of acute and chronic illnesses. In the academic role, the incumbent will teach graduate-level NP courses, provide academic advising and clinical supervision of students, participate in scholarly activity as appropriate and feasible, and participate in committee work, public service and professional organizations.
Essential Duties of Program Faculty Role
1. Collaborates with the VANAP-GE program Co-Directors on graduate level academic policies, faculty personnel, fiscal and instructional policies.
2. Participates in the development and delivery of VANAP-GE graduate and residency level program offerings, residency curricula, and NP residency standards, assessment/accreditation processes, and maintains compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards.
3. Assists with recruitment and enrollment of NP students and residents into the VANAP-GE program, including reviewing recruitment materials, consulting with School of Nursing staff in evaluation of credentials and transcripts of NP applicants, and conduct admission interviews for NP students and residents. Serves as NP student and resident mentor and academic advisor and provide clinical supervision of students.
4. Identifies and recruits clinical preceptors for VANAP-GE NP students and residents. Evaluates VANAP-GE NP clinical preceptors, assesses and supports faculty professional development, evaluates teaching performance, and serves as mentor for VARHS NP clinical preceptors.
5. Establishes and cultivates liaisons with White River Junction VAMC clinical sites and National Centers/Field Offices, MGH Institute School of Nursing (SON) and other VA facilities and academic institutions as appropriate to foster clinical placements and the success of the VANAP-GE program.
6. Assists with program evaluations, periodic progress reports and an annual report on the VANAP-GE program.
7. Participates in and provide leadership to VANAP-GE, WRJ VA and MGH Institute SON committees.
8. Performs duties in support of the VANAP-GE program as assigned by the VANAP-GE program Co-Directors.
Essential Duties of Nurse Practitioner Role
9. Functions as a provider and oversees care to patients in the outpatient setting, acting as clinical preceptor to NP students and residents in the VANAP-GE program.
10. Core NP functions include diagnosing and treating acute and chronic health care problems, including managing minor trauma and performing procedures as specified through the privileging process; performing adult-gerontology care assessments; and prescribing medication and treatments. This includes patient's medical and mental health concerns, defining the management of these problems, and determining the need for consultations.
11. Teaches health promotion and disease prevention to patients. Provides pharmacologic management of patients in accordance with defined scope of practice. Responsible and accountable for overseeing the coordination of care focused on patient transition through the continuum of care, patient and family education, patient self-management, and supporting factors that impact customer satisfaction.
12. Consults/collaborates with other team members, provides leadership in improving patient care, maintaining standards of care, and directing and teaching personnel in a variety of settings.
13. Participates in the Performance Improvement Process for the clinical area/facility and maintains oversight and responsibility for professional practice.
Successful candidates will be eligible for licensure in Massachusetts, hold at least one graduate degree in nursing. An earned doctorate in nursing or a related field is preferred. Exceptional applicants with a master's degree in nursing will be considered. Board certification as an NP from a VA-approved certifying body is required (AANC or AANP). Prior teaching experience in an academic setting, inclusive of teaching online courses preferred. Faculty appointments will be conferred by MGH Institute School of Nursing for VANAP-GE faculty positions; rank and salary are competitive and commensurate with education, professional background, and experience. Clinical privileges will be granted based on a request for and approval of such privileges through the Credentialing and Privileging process (Chief of Staff's Office), consistent with the laws of the state where the APRN is licensed and related to their role.
The MGH Institute of Health Professions is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We welcome nominations and applications from individuals who would bring diversity of experience, thought and practice to the Institute's research, teaching and clinical missions. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Primary Location: MA-Charlestown-MGH IHP
Work Locations: MGH IHP 36 First Avenue Charlestown 02129
Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Standard Hours: 40
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Recruiting Department: IHP SON
Job Posting: Nov 22, 2016