Administrative Support Associate- Journey
Position Number 002831
Position Classification Title Administrative Support Assc
Functional Title Administrative Support Associate- Journey
Position Type Administration - Staff
Re-Post, Previous Applicants Need Not Re-Apply, Still Under Consideration
The mission of the Department of Public Health Education is to promote health by supporting the learning, decision-making and capacity of individuals, groups, and communities. In collaboration with Piedmont Triad Community organizations, the Department prepares professional health educators and advances public health practice and knowledge.
The Department of Public Health Education is currently seeking qualified candidates to consider for an Administrative Support position.
Provide Customer Service (25%)
The employee is responsible for providing accurate and timely service for Public Health Education (PHE) "customers." Customers are defined as 1) current students, 2) prospective students, 3) community partners, 4) school and university personnel, 5) parents, 6) GA/Legislators, and 7) the general public. Specific duties related to customer includes:
- Receiving visitors and callers at the reception desk.
- Explaining services, policy, and procedures to students and faculty.
- Identifying the root of customer problems when they are poorly communicated.
- Assisting all clientele with form completion.
- Providing accurate information and explanations based on policy guidelines.
- Responding to questions/issues that deviate from standard operating procedures by determining and consulting appropriate resources such as policies, manuals or other staff.
- Establishing a model for professional, positive interactions with customers.
- Using interpersonal skills to change the perspective of unhappy clients on a frequent basis.
- Independently resolving customer problems by reliance on extensive program knowledge, analytical skill, and research of past actions.
- Providing authorized employees' access to facilities.
- Probing for details in order to assist.
- Serving as a liaison between university and external service providers.
- Assisting faculty with travel arrangements.
- Responding to requests for program and procedural information.
- Providing answers to requests for general information in written format.
Serve as Secondary Programmatic Resource to Graduate and Undergraduate Directors/Associate Directors (15%)
Employee is responsible for the administrative work associated with managing the department's academic programs. Employee will work and coordinate activities with Lead Administrative Associate and the Graduate and Undergraduate Directors/Associate Directors. The employee is also responsible for understanding and interpreting academic policies and procedures as part of initial interactions with inquiring students and to develop reports with faculty for program administration. Addressing and/or triaging students and issues are a critical part of employee's role. As a Secondary Programmatic Resource, activities/skills include:
- Daily use of the Banner Student Record system for information and Web Focus Dashboard for reporting.
- Assisting students in completing forms.
- Assisting students in accessing services.
- Referring students to other resources.
- Explaining, processing, and maintaining special requests, change of major forms, permits for transient study, and related forms.
- Providing factual and procedural information about program qualifications, course prerequisites, scholarships available in-house, academic progression requirements, and related concerns.
- Preparing and mailing letters to students regarding their secondary admission status.
- Maintaining a database of internship sites and keeping Instructional Agreements with those sites current by preparing and mailing contracts on an annual basis.
Assist with Budgetary and Financial Tasks (15%)
The employee will be responsible for assisting the Lead Administrative Associate, the Department Chair, the Associate Department Chair, and the Graduate and Undergraduate Program Directors and Associate Directors with budgetary and financial concerns. The employee will be responsible for maintaining accurate records and providing timely reports on budgets and financial expenditures. The employee will also provide services to faculty and students related to approved departmental expenditures. In this capacity, specific activities and tasks include:
- Acting as a secondary resource (to Lead Administrative Associate) for completing, routing and maintaining personal records including forms for hire and maintaining department budget records.
- Monitoring and reconciling departmental or program budget, Pcard expenses and tracking travel and office expenditures.
- Compiling and organizing information from different sources to develop reports and data
- Routing contracts for both faculty and accounts (e.g., tracking, filing, invoicing, purchase requisitions, catering orders, vendor requests, travel expenses, book orders)
Use Technology, Software, and Equipment to View, Enter Modify, or Copy Data (15%)
The employee will be responsible for using various technologies, software, and equipment to assist with the management of departmental data. The employee will be responsible for selecting, understanding, and fully applying features of a variety of software programs, machines or office equipment that will produce the desired results. As such, activities/skills include:
- Using Microsoft Office Suite to type documents for publications, enter information, create report formats and spreadsheets, and generate reports.
- Entering information into Banner Student Forms.
- Creating and maintaining department web pages with Wordpress
- Managing departmental social media venues, including coordinating, generating, and updating content.
- Running lists from a database.
- Maintaining Alumni database.
- Using iSpartan email system.
- Setting up and using email contact lists.
- Frequently using the web for research.
- Maintaining proficiency with multiple programs including: Microsoft Office, Wordpress, Banner Student, Banner Finance, Genie, Sharenet, Web Focus, and Canvas.
- Completing trainings and becoming proficient in new software and technologies as the need arises.
- Using school poster printer for printing posters for faculty attending conferences.
Prepare, Review, and Process Written Communication (15%)
The employee will be responsible for preparing, reviewing, and processing various departmental documents and written communications, including minutes, letters, forms, flyers, and brochures. The employee will also be responsible for the accurate and efficient file management of department paperwork. Specific activities include:
- Preparing and processing documents such as minutes, letters, reports, forms, flyers, brochures, etc.
- Preparing and responding to written correspondence regarding information, events, activities, workshops, procedural, or operational inquiries independently from instruction and without the aid of written summary.
- Proofreading documents for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting.
- Maintaining, designing, and modifying filing systems.
- Serving as the principal staff person on faculty searches.
Coordinate Office Support Services (15%)
The employee will be responsible for coordinating general office support services for the department. Specific activities include:
- Providing clerical assistance with matters such as faxing, scanning, coping, etc.
- Coordinating office events, inter-office meetings, and special projects (arranging for room reservations, catering, etc).
- Handling mailing issues (signing for certified mail, assisting with bulk or mass mailings, etc).
- Purchasing and maintaining office supplies and internal forms using Pcard and eMarketplace.
- Contacting service recipients, vendors or clients to provide or obtain information.
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments, meetings and events.
- Serving as a resource to others on a variety of subjects including office equipment, software applications and information processing procedures.
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY; OR DEMONSTRATED POSSESSION OF THE COMPETENCIES NECESSARY TO PERFORM THE WORK.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
You must complete and submit and electronic application tor employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
The applicant is also required to upload with their electronic application the following documents:
List of References
Your application to the position will not be complete until you receive an online confirmation number at the end of the process of applying for a position.
Recruitment Range $28,533 - $31,703
Org #-Department Public Health Education - 13006
Work Hours of Position 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.. Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Responds to questions/issues that deviate from standard operating procedures by determining and consulting appropriate resources such as policies, manuals or other staff. Responds to requests for program and procedural information. Contacts service recipients, vendors, or clients to provide or obtain information. Schedules and coordinates appointments, meetings and events.
Office Technology (Journey)
Selects, understands and fully applies features of a variety of software programs, machines or office equipment that will produce the desired results.
Exercises responsibility for administering the budget, which includes making recommendations regarding the use and distribution of funds within the department.
Open Date 02/17/2017
Close Date 05/21/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 59
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Writing Sample(s)
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you graduated from high school or received a GED?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu