Yard Maintenance Mechanic Helper
Department Name Grounds Maintenance
Campus or Location Metropolitan Campus
Vacancy Number PT290-17
Reports To Supervisor, Grounds Maint
Recruitment Type External/Internal
Job Category Support Staff
Position Type Part-Time
Union Position Union
Number of Openings 1
Job Description Summary
Performs duties and otherwise assists in the care and maintenance of buildings and grounds at assigned locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• *Operates the necessary equipment used in mowing, fertilizing, spraying and snow removal including, but not limited to, a front end loader and back hoe, MT trackless snow plow, dump truck, tractor, roller, power sprayer, cherry picker and air compressor hammer.
• Mowing, weed eradication, spraying, fertilizing, reseeding and watering of lawn.
• Maintenance and care of shrubs, hedges, trees and plantings.
• Transplanting of trees and shrubs and removal of same when necessary.
• Maintenance and repair of sidewalks, secondary roads, parking lots and athletic fields; makes repairs and/or replacements as necessary.
• *Maintains and performs minor equipment repairs. May repair small tools.
• Uses a welding and cutting torch for simple repairs.
• Paints curbs, crosswalk, posts, and marking lines in parking areas and athletic fields; and other painting duties as assigned.
• *Collects and disposes rubbish daily.
• Performs elementary carpentry, plumbing and other maintenance-related duties.
• Also performs elementary carpentry, plumbing and other maintenance related duties.
• Replaces floor tiles and lamps.
• May assemble and transport new furniture, equipment and supplies.
• Works under the direction of Maintenance Mechanic(s) as required.
• Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position.
• Demonstrates regular attendance.
• Accesses and utilizes College-prescribed software programs, including but not limited to training, email, payroll and maintenance management system.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
*denotes Essential Function
• High School diploma or GED.
• Two (2) years of work experience in the care and maintenance of grounds and the operation, repair and maintenance of grounds keeping equipment.
• Ability to perform elementary work in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, painting and welding.
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to properly use related equipment.
• Ability to read and follow detailed work and safety instructions.
• Ability to work independently.
• Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic or standard word processing (MS Word) and/or spreadsheet applications (MS Excel).
• Proficiency with an email software package (MS Outlook) and the Internet.
• Valid Ohio Driver's license.
• Must be able to meet College insurability requirements.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must have sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population.
• Associate's degree in a job-related field.
• Experience with electronic work order system.
• Understanding/experience with quality programs and initiatives.
• Experience in pruning, landscaping, maintaining athletic fields and snow plowing.
• Pesticide licensure.
• Trade licensure or certification.
• LTO (Lift-Truck-Operator) license.
• Ability to perform work in welding.
The primary schedule for this position will be 7AM to 11AM, Tuesday through Saturday.
Target Hiring Rate/Salary Minimum of $20.77 per hour
Posting Open Date 05/10/2017
Posting Close Date 05/24/2017
Open Until Filled No
For full consideration, apply by this date
Special Instructions to Applicants
During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments.
Affirmative Action Statement
Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this position?
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Tri-C web site
- Tri-C employee referral
- City News
- Search Firm/Agency
- Other publication
- Other web site
- Career Fair
- * Do you hold a high school diploma or GED?
- * Do you possess two (2) years of work experience in the care and maintenance of grounds and the operation, repair and maintenance of grounds keeping equipment?
- * Do you possess a valid Ohio Driver's license?
- * Are you at least 18 years of age?
- * Are you able to meet College insurability requirements?
Required Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae