Director, Student Activities
ivision: Student Engagement
Reports To: Dean of Students
Position Summary: The Director of Student Activities is responsible for engaging students. This person leads, plans, and coordinates the student activities programs on campus that will enrich and enhance the student’s overall experience.The director will supervise student organizations and facilitate meetings and partnerships that will further improve students’ engagement on campus. Efforts of the Director of Student Activities align with the goals of the Division of Student Engagement and the strategic direction of the vision of North Park University.
Screening of applicants will begin March 1, 2017
- Engages and mentors students in alignment with student development theory and best practices in the field of student affairs
- Advises student government association
- Assist SGA leaders in identifying goals and outcomes for the year, and a plan for implementation
- Create and implement off training for SGA leaders, focusing on goal setting, leadership development, team building, and transition planning
- Leads student organizations by providing leadership development and advisor training
- Maintains budgets for all student-led groups and activities
- Maintain and implement policies, procedures, handbook, and training for student organization officers and advisors, including budget development, financial management, risk management, and event planning
- Oversee student organization budgets, assist student organizations in reserving space, procuring vendors and supplies for events
- Oversees a student-led campus activities board
- Plans a robust calendar of student events for the academic year and ensure staff representation at all events
- Support student-led programming efforts for on- and off -campus activities, including working with vendors, venues, and performers to secure quotes and contracts; partner with campus departments in implementation
- Offers innovative ideas and implement new program ideas in alignment with the university strategic plan
- Oversees the planning of Threshold, our welcome week of activities for new students
- Create, implement, and oversee New Student Orientation and Welcome Week events and programming for incoming first-year and transfer students and their families and guests
- Assists in planning spring and summer registration days for new students
- Recruit, hire, and train orientation leaders
- Organizes joint programs and events with other departments in Student Engagement and across campus
- Supervises a Resident Director in a collateral assignment in Student Activities
- Manage the campus student engagement platform, Check I’m Here
- A bachelor’s degree; a master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- A commitment to, and appreciation of, the Christian mission of North Park University.
- Two years of direct higher education experience, inclusive of graduate assistantship,
- Sensitivity to multicultural and gender issues and support for diverse and underrepresented populations.
- The ability to effectively communicate with students, parents, administrators, faculty and staff members, and outside constituencies.
- Must be able to work well under pressure, work independently, take initiative and oversee a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Possess a high level of professionalism and maturity.
- Driver’s License recommended
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as required
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.