Institutional Services Assistant
INSTITUTIONAL SERVICES ASSISTANT
Working Title: Institutional Services Assistant
Type of Employment: Staff
Department: Recycling and Solid Waste
Division: Finance and Administration
Proposed Salary Range: $17,681.00
Position Summary: The Institutional Services Assistant is responsible for general cleaning of areas in and around office buildings, class rooms, lecture halls, conference rooms, auditoriums, resident halls, dining areas, building common areas, and other areas as required. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
- Adhere to the vision and guiding principles of the Finance and Administration Division
- Perform work assignments in a professional and courteous manner
- Daily pick up of waste and recycling materials
- Maintain recycling containers and trash containers in common areas; keep containers free of contamination
- Preserve and maintain the appearance, condition and cleanliness of the recycling areas
- Prepare recycling containers for collection by hauler vehicles
- Work with staff, residents and community groups to promote recycling within the buildings
- Baling material for proper storage, transportation and loading/unloading of trucks and trailer
- Sort and separate materials to include paper, plastic, metal, glass and wood
- Operate scales to properly weigh and record recycled materials
- Instruct patrons in proper recycling techniques and facility rules/guidelines
- Operate and perform basic maintenance of bailer, skid steer, backhoe and forklift as required
- Operate and perform basic maintenance of balers and other equipment as required
- Utilize Personal Protective Equipment as required by regulation or as required by Manager
- Complete reporting documents as required by regulations or as required by Manager
- Complete training requirements at the discretion of the Manager including a minim of a Journeyman Solid Waste License
- Ensure tools and materials needed to perform daily work assignments are accounted for and in good working order
- Employees shall adhere to all Federal, State and Local codes and regulations governing safety and Code regulations and report all incidents to the Recycling Manager
- Ensure that all time cards, work orders, and other assigned paper work are correct and turned in on time
- Ensure FAMIS work bench is kept currant and all work descriptions are noted on the work order task list
- Contact customers to provide information and schedules for ongoing work and provide courtesy tag when customer is not available
- Employees will wear the assigned uniform as designated by the AVC
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds or more. Must be willing to work outside in all kinds of weather
- Must be able to or learn to operate heavy equipment
- Meet all state minimums
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Manager.
General Days/Hours: Monday-Friday, 5 a.m.-2 p.m., may require occasional weekend or overtime hours
Other: This position is considered Essential Personnel and Candidate must possess a valid Drivers License. Must be willing to work outside in all conditions.
Knowledge/Skills/Ability: Knowledge of basic cleaning techniques.
Knowledge of cleaning equipment operation and maintenance.
Ability to follow instructions and perform repetitive manual work.
Ability to use cleansers and other agents to clean floors and furniture.
Ability to use housekeeping cleaning supplies and equipment.
Ability to work independently without close supervision.
Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions.
Ability to perform multiple tasks and to prioritize assignments.
Ability to perform repetitive manual work.
Ability to do required lifting (up to 50 lbs.).
Minimum Qualifications: The formal education equivalent of a high school diploma.
OTHER JOB RELATED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR ALL OR PART OF THESE BASIC REQUIREMENTS, EXCEPT FOR CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS, UPON APPROVAL OF THE QUALIFICATIONS REVIEW COMMITTEE.
Arkansas State University is a public, multi-campus higher education system with enrollment in excess of 22,000 students. Approximately 14,000 students attend the Jonesboro campus where the student body is diverse. The campus has a renewed focus on international student recruitment and capital campaign development. Jonesboro has a population of approximately 67,000 and is located 70 miles northwest of Memphis (www.jonesborochamber.org).
EEO Statement: It is the policy of Arkansas State University to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, status as a veteran or other status protected by law; and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive continuing program of affirmative action.